Chapter 2- Good News

Nidha's POV:

A nod. 

I see him all these years later and all I get is a nod.  No "Hi" no "Hello" or "Welcome back", I get a nod. 

Whatever, it's not like I expected more from him.

Di's voice brings me back from my thoughts and I turn to her. "How was your flight? Did they ask too many questions at customs? You brought everything back, right? You didn't leave anything behind?" She hits me nonstop with questions. 

"Di! I'm ok, the flight and everything else is good. Calm down. Look in here and now I'm finally back in India." I take her hand and sit down on the couch.

"Pihu, I'm sure she's fine. We saw your graduation pictures Nidha, you killed it! The white coat looked good on you." Jiju assures Di and changes the topic.

"Ahh, I can't believe my baccha is a doctor!" Di claps. "It feels like yesterday when she used to fall off of her bed at the bed. Can you believe it, Dev?" 

"Di!" I say getting red from embarrassment.

"Pihu we can't tease Dr. Nidha anymore or she won't treat us when we are sick." Jiju pouts. 

To be fair, I can't believe I'm a doctor either. There was a time when I thought I would never make it, but people like Di, Jiju, and Shraaddha are the reason I made it through. My rocks to lean on. 

We talk for some time about my time in Canada and how much has changed at home since I left. 

"Should we eat now?" I ask Pihu Di rubbing my stomach.

"Wait wait, first we have to give you 2 a gift!" Di excitedly goes and grads 2 bags and hands them to Vyom and me. 

"But you're not the one that's supposed to be giving gifts today..." Vyom says confused. 

I nod in agreement. 

"Oh just shut up and open them!" Jiju says shoving the bags into our hands. 

I open the bag and notice a baseball hat inside. Confused, I take out the hat and read the writing on the cap. MASI (AUNT). My eyes go wide and I look over at Vyom's hat. CHACHU (UNCLE). 

"Ahhhhh!" I run over and wrap both of them in a hug and jump up and down. "Really? Really? Omg!" I bust out in happiness. 

We all look over at Vyom who is staring at the cap. "Did you guys get the wrong gift or something? This one says 'CHACHU'". He lifts the cap to show us. 

Di shakes her head and slams her palm on her forehead. "That one is for you dummy... You're going to be an uncle!" 

He drops the cap from his hands and turns over to Jiju. 

"Bro you're gonna be a dad! My bro is going to be a dad!" He picks up Dev and spins him around.

Me and Di smile at their bromance. "Ahem. I'm going to be doing most of the work" Di says pointing at her stomach. 

Vyom smiles and walks over to Di and gives her a warm hug. He says something in her ear that makes her smile. 

We celebrate for a bit and head over to the dinner table. 

We have a feast, as Di has managed to make enough food for 10 people. We eat nonstop, inhaling the pasta, garlic bread, fried rice, and spring rolls. 

I stuff my face a little extra because even the water has more spices in it than the average Canadian food. 

We all hang out after dinner in the backyard and talk nonstop. From my college to Dev's new web series to Pihu Di's latest event, we chatted till late into the night. 

Di and Jiju flee to get dessert from the kitchen, leaving me and Vyom sitting in silence.

He looks down at his watch and raises his eyebrows in surprise. 

"Did you have a meeting to get to?" I smile at him. 

'No just checking the time." He vaguely answers. 

"It's only 1 am, you guys stay up till like 2-3 am anyways on weekends." I reason with him to make small talk. 

"Yea but some of us didn't just come from a vacation aboard you know?" He smirks at me.

"Hmmm," I just nod and glance at the garden. 

We once again awkwardly sit in silence and wait for Di and Jiju to come back. 

Since when did things get so awkward between us? Why can't we have normal small talk like we used? Why does it bother me so much?

Precap: Nidha starts her new job and Vyom is her first patient.

I hope you enjoyed the surprise! Baby on board!!

So many things have changed in the past 4 years! What's going to happen next?

Please comment, save, and vote!

-💙