Chapter 20- Give Up

Author's POV:

The marriage of Vyom and Nidha has brought many new changes to their lives. Vyom, who had always spent his time running away from the family business was now working 14-hour shifts at the office. On the other hand, Nidha who took pride in working for the people and serving her patients was now working as a corporate slave, only worrying about the wellbeing of the company.

Both found it extremely hard to adjust to this new lifestyle. Vyom hated that he was serving his father's every whim and working endlessly under such a strict tyrant. Similarly, Nidha felt very lonely at her new job, her coworkers regarded her as some rich nepotism baby who was handed everything to her including this job.

Although both were miserable in their perspective jobs, they endured it for each other.

Today was just like the previous day for Nidha, and the one before that, and the one before that one. Just as usual she ate breakfast with the whole family silently and went off to work and returned back at 5 pm.

Tired from her mundane days, she decided to go cook something for Vyom and her. AFter eating breakfast with him for a whole month, Nidha had learned one thing, her husband sure loved sweets. Making her way to the kitchen, she greeted the cook.

"Good afternoon, what are you making?" She asked him.

He stared blankly at her surprised. "Oh... um... I am making corn salad for Mr. Gupta, baked chicken for Mr. Akshay, and daal and pulao for everyone else." He hesitantly said.

Nidha gave him a courteas nod. "I'm going to make halwa, can you help me out?" She politely asked.

The cook's eyes went wide, "You?" He looked at her in disbelief. "Why don't you let me do it?" He moved swiftly grabbing a pan from the cabinet.

Nidha looked at him confused. "No, I'm going to do you. Can you please just let me know where the ingredients are?" She said grabbing the pan from his hands.

The cook froze and marveled at Nidha. "I... I guess. It's just the women of this house don't cook." He said bringing jars of sugar and nuts over to Nidha. Nidha took them from his hands with a smile. "Nor do they talk with the house help. I don't think they even know my name." He silently laughed.

Nidha stood astonished at the privilege of the house. Not only did the Guptas have everything done by the house help, but they didn't even bother learning their names.

"Well, let's change that. Hi! I'm Nidha Gupta." She offered her hand to the cook.

The cook stood awkwardly not sure what to do. "Hello, um I'm Sam." He shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Sam." Nidha grinned and started working on her halwa.

Nidha, with the help of Sam, was able to gather all the ingredients she needed and finished up her dish.

She served most of it out into a bowl, leaving some in case the other family members wanted it, and took it upstairs to her room. Putting it on the table, she decided to wait for Vyom to get home before indulging in it.

She sat on the bed, scrolling through her phone unaware of when sleep caught her in its clutches and pulled her into a peaceful slumber.

A couple of hours later, Vyom pulled up to the front gates after a tiring day at work.

Calling the day a fail would be an understatement. Not only had they failed in getting an important contract, but they also suffered a big loss when a construction sight had to be shut down due to weather.

The weather outside wasn't the only thing that was gloomy, as Vyom's day had been an accurate depiction of the environment around him.

He got out of the car quickly, hoping to retreat to his room without running into anyone. But unfortunately, it was impossible for things to go his way.