Chapter 14- Holy Matrimony

Author's POV:

For the rest of the city, it was a normal Sunday evening. But not in Kaur house. For the last 2 days, it was as if the sun hadn't set and everyone had been working nonstop. 

From making sure the outfits had been sized, to tasting the food, and looking after the guest, Meeta and Pankaj Kaur had their hands full. 

Their daughter, on the other hand, was not worried about what others would think of their hospitality or how they look but was worried about the future. How her life would look from the day after tomorrow. 

Her nights weren't spent running around the house, helping everyone but instead, she often found herself on her balcony clueless about her future. Overthinking every small detail, the past couple of days have been nothing but a nightmare for Nidha. 

But now it was finally time. Time for her to get married. Wear that garland as if it was a noose around her neck, take rounds around the fire like the one in her heart right now, and hold Jatin's hand for the rest of her life. 

She didn't have any tears left to cry anymore. It was as if her eyes had dried out and were incapable of producing more. 

She sat lifeless in front of the mirror as her friends dolled her up. Made her wear mountains of jewelry and pasted layers of makeup on her face. 

She looked up into the mirror at her final look and couldn't even recognize herself. 'I would never wear this' Nidha said to herself. The overly heavy lehenga and hefty jewelry would never have been her choice for a wedding of her choice. 

But then once again, nothing was happening by choice. 

Just then a knock on the door pulled Nidha out from her stance. Dev and Pihu walked into the room. 

"We're here to take you downstairs." They both said as they walked in. 

Nidha dropped her shoulders in disappointment. Although it felt pointless, she had hoped that on a day like this, her brother would walk her down the aisle. 

"You look amazing!" Pihu compliments her sister noticing her disappointment. 

"Don't lie," Nidha says dismissing her sister's compliment. 

Dev walks up to Nidha and gives her a big hug. "You know, when I met Pihu you were just a small 19-year-old girl, I wish you had stayed the same." He pulls apart from the hug and hands Nidha her phone. "You know we support you no matter what right? Vyom told me that all he needs is one phone call and he will have a car ready."

"Please bacha," Pihu tries convincing her, hoping Nidha changes her mind. 

Nidha shakes her head. "No Di, I ran away from my problems 4 years ago. I have to accept it now. Whatever fate has in plan for me must be correct." She throws the phone on the bed and heads to the door. 

Nidha walks down the stairs with Pihu holding one hand and Dev holding the other. Everyone turns around marveling at her beauty. The crowd starts murmuring and Nidha finally manages to lift her face and look up. 

Her first glance falls upon Vyom. His expression mixed with amazement and disappointment. As if he's seen an actual fairy on the face of this earth but is disappointed that she didn't take his offer. 

Dev and Pihu guide Nidha to Jatin where he takes her hand and makes her sit down. 

The pandit starts chanting the mantras and the wedding proceeds. 

Everything around Nidha seems to be moving at speed while she remains still in her spot. 

"Please stand up for the phera's" The pandit says to Nidha and Jatin.