Chapter 8- Teamwork is Dreamwork

Vyom's POV:

I woke up at the crack of dawn, got ready, and gathered all my stuff. 

When Dev told me 2 days ago that Bhabhi had to go to the hospital and was on bed rest, I decided I would be there to take care of her. 

I leave the house early in the morning and make my way over to their house. I stop for some of Bhabhi's favorite cupcakes and pack them nicely.

Arriving at the house, I make my way home only to hear some noise coming from Bhabhi's room. A lively laughter fills the house and makes the day feel even more beautiful. 

'Who could it be?' I think to myself as I head over to the room. 

My eyes meet with both Bhabhi and Nidha, who jump in their seat when I open the door. 

"Vyom? What are you doing here?" Bhabhi asks surprised.

"You needed a caretaker, here I am. I am yours for the next 4 weeks." I announce giving her a hug. 

Bhabhi burst out into a laughing fit and me and Nidha look at each other confused. 

"I'm not a little baby you know? Both of you decided to waste your time here for the next 4 weeks." She scolds us sternly. 

I'm about to defend my decision when Nidha stands up. "Actually, Jiju is filming a movie right now and you are on strict bed rest." She looks over at me for support. 

"Exactly which is why you need us. A doctor and a friend." I make my point. 

"A doctor and an emotional support animal," Nidha smirks at me. 

I'm about to make a comeback when Bhabhi motions for me to sit.

We sit and talk for some time. Bhabhi starts getting hungry and I pull out just the thing she needs.

"Ta-da. Your favorite cupcakes!" I offer Bhabhi the cupcakes. 

She's about to hold them when suddenly Nidha jumps out of her seat and grabs the box. 

"Absolutely not! You can't be eating food from who knows where contaminated with who knows what!" She says gripping the cupcakes. 

"Oh come on, she has had them so many times. 1 cupcake doesn't hurt!" I say trying to grab the box from her hands. 

"No, you've seen those videos on the internet about how unhygienically food could be made. Why take the risk?" She backs up holding the box to her chest. 

"Enough hand me the cupcakes!" I reach for them but she moves them away. 

"Guys-" Bhabhi tried to intervene but neither of us listen. 

Nidha takes another step back holding the box away from my reach. I move forward but she starts running. We chase around each other and run through the room. 

The box is almost in my hands when I trip on the corner of a rug and fall to the floor. Nidha falls with me, landing on top of me. 

We stare at each other for some time, my eyes glued to her and hers fixed on mine. 

"Such a little kid," I whisper to her.

"Couldn't catch me oldie" She smiles at me. 

I brush her off of me and get up, fixing my clothes. She rejects my hand when I offer to help her up. 

"Enough you 2!" Bhabhi says shaking her head. "I guess baby and I will just live without cupcakes..." She pouts. 

"Actually, if Vyom really wants to give you cupcakes, he could bake them. Every recipe is on the internet... if you know how to use it" She says whispering the last part. 

I give her a scowl and pull out my phone. "Done! You will have cupcakes within an hour." I tell Bhabhi and make my way downstairs to the kitchen. I hear the ladies laughing after me. 

In the kitchen, I start working on the 'Easy Cupcake Recipie' I found on Google. 

Just flour, eggs, oil, sugar, and cocoa powder. Easy enough right?

After combining my wet ingredients, I realize I have to sift the dry ones.

'What the hell do I sift with?' I think to myself. After rummaging through most of the drawers, I find a spoon with about 8-10 holes in it and get to work. 

The sifting takes almost 10 minutes and I'm halfway done when I hear a chuckle in the door frame. 

"What are you doing?" Nidha asks with an amusing grin. 

"Painting the walls. I'm sifting what else?" I roll my eyes at her. "It's used for the dry ingredients."

"Okay Gordan Ramsey, how effective is that?" She says stepping closer to the mess I made and pointing at my bowl. 

"Very," I lie to her. I am not about to let her win this. 

She just nods and heads over to one of the drawers. After some rummaging, she returns with what looks like a bigger version of a strainer. 

"You know, it would be so much quicker and effective if you used this?" She says holding her grin together trying not to smirk. 

The realization hits me and I realize that I am using a slotted spoon for sifting. I snatch the strainer from her hands fuming.

"Chill, you're doing great. Let me help you." She says as she grabs the bowl out of my hands and starts mixing the ingredients. 

We work together, collectively mixing, prepping, and baking the cupcakes. The time passes quickly and soon the whole house has a sweet aroma wandering around. 

We take the cupcakes upstairs to Bhabhi and watch intently as she tastes them. Both of us nervous.

"This..." She pauses to swallow her bite. "Is the best cupcake I have ever had!" She says going in for another bite. 

Nidha and I burst into smiles and jump into a hug. 

Although she lets go of me to get a cupcake of her own, the feeling of her arms around me lingers. A part of me doesn't know how to react and another part doesn't want the feeling to ever fade. 

I clear my throat and grab a cupcake of my own and take a bite. 

Somehow it tastes better than any cupcake I have ever eaten. Better than any expensive dessert I've eaten in my life. 

Maybe because it was made with care. 

Maybe because it was hard work. 

Or simply because it was made by us, together. 

Precap: Nidha and Vyom under a blanket of stars. 😍 

I hope you enjoyed their first hug! 

Please vote, share, and comment!

-💙