Chapter 29- Terror of the Night

Nidha's POV: 

The hairs on my neck stand as Ginny's call immediately disconnects. Her words ring in my ears. 

Nidha... help...

A confetti pop brings me back to my senses as I realize I need to go and help Ginny. Although my mind is set on moving, my feet seem to be glued in place. 

'You're a doctor Nidha, get yourself together!' A voice inside of me snaps and I make my way to the car. 

Reversing out of the driveway, I speed towards the Gupta mansion. 

"Hey Siri, message Oldie 'Ginny is not well, had to rush home' please." Even Vyom's nickname on my phone doesn't break me into a grin. My hands tremble on the steering wheel as I hurry through the empty roads.  

I've seen many sick people during my residency in Canada but something about losing the few people I can call mine made my stomach into knots. 

Finally reaching Gupta Mansion, I halt the car by the door with a big screech. 

"Nidha ma'am?" The doorman looks in confusion. 

"Where is everyone?" I ask getting out of the car. 

He catches the keys I throw at him. "Ma'am and Sir went to a friend's wedding, Akshay Sir left for Australia this morning and Vyom Sir is at a baby shower..." He answers with sheer confusion on his face. 

"I know that! WHERE IS ALL THE HELP?" My outburst makes him startle in his steps. I don't bother to listen for the answer as I run into the house and skip the stairs. 'God why is this lehenga so heavy' I yank off my dupatta ripping it at the safety pins and leave it on the stairs, rushing to Ginny's room. 

"Ginny? Are you here?" I call as I walk in. 

"ni..nidha...." I trace back the small voice inside the bathroom, finding Ginny beside the sink curled up in a ball holding her stomach. 

My heart thumps to my throat and I can feel it my breath faulting. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?" I approach her and start looking for any signs of visible trauma or bleeding. My pulse normalizes when Ginny looks unharmed. 

"I think I'm losing the baby!" Terror is visible in her eyes as she lets the words out. 

I take a deep breath composing myself, reminding myself that right now, Ginny is my patient, not my family. "Don't worry, you seem fine as of right now. Let's get you checked up at the hospital, so we can clear up any assumptions." I take my arm under hers, trying to get her up. 

"No!" She pushes my arm away causing me to tumble backwards into the wall. "I can't lose this one! You don't understand Nidha, I've had too many chances..." Her eyes well up with tears. 

A patient's hormonal is pretty hard to reason with but hormonal and delusional is even worse. 

I reach over to her placing my hand on her shoulder. "Ginny, I am here to help you. Let's go to the hospital." I extend my other hand for her to take. To my relief, she takes my hand and slowly starts lifting from the floor. I steady her with my hand on her waist as we approach the stairs. 

"Ginny, you will be okay." I try to assure her. 

She finally steps out of her delirium and takes a deep breath. 

"I have to be Nidha, we have a lot of hopes for this one. Everyone is so excited and already planning the baby shower. I hope you took notes from Priyanka's shower!" She rambles as we make ourselves down the hall at the top of the stairs. 

I give her a small nod, trying to comfort her. 

"You won't believe it Akshay already has a name set out. He's so sure the baby is a girl you know? He says he's going to name her-" 

Ginny exhurts a small gasp as our legs get stuck on my dupatta and lehenga. We both falter as I grab myself on the railing of the stairs. 

As I steady myself taking in what just happened, I see an unconscious Ginny at the bottom of the stairs. 

"Ginny!" I run down the stairs and lift her head into my lap. There's blood trickling down her neck and shoulders, a visible blunt trauma of the stairs. My calls to her all feel in vain as she lays senseless. 

The doorman who also witnessed the fall, also runs to us. 

"Help me carry her!" I motion to him. 

He takes Ginny into his hands and rushes to the car. I get in the back with Ginny's head on my lap. Using my hands to apply pressure on her cut, I try to check her vitals. 

I find a faint pulse and her respirations are slow and shallow. My own heart has definitely halted as I can't remember the last time I felt a beat or breather. 

We pull up to the hospital as stretchers immediately pull up the car. The nurses help carry Ginny out of the car and wheel her into the hospital. 

"Ginny Gupta, age 33 is currently 18 weeks pregnant. She fell down the stairs, PLEASE help her doctor." The desperation is clear in my eyes as the doctors wheel Ginny into the ER. 

The waiting room spins as I remember Ginny's words. 

Everyone is so excited and already planning the baby shower. I hope you took notes from Priyanka's shower.

I'm not a fool. I know how difficult it will be for baby Gupta to survive after falling down such a big flight of stairs. 

You won't believe it Akshay already has a name set out.

The words ring louder in my head as the room starts spinning faster. My mind goes blank and I can't seem to stand. 

Falling backward, I brace myself for a hard fall. A deep breath leaves my lungs as 2 strong hands catch me. 

Precap: Ginny's doctor delivers some news...

OMG! What do you think happened? 👀

Will Ginny and the baby survive? 

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! It was definitely a short one but trust me a crazy chapter awaits next! (I've already started the draft! 🤫)

As always if you enjoyed it, please leave your wonderful comments and save and vote for the chapter!

-💙