Chapter 35- Trapped

Nidha's POV:

The taxi driver gave us a strange look as we loaded 10's of perfectly wrapped boxes into the car. Although it looked weird to him, Pihu Di and Dev were the only people we had packed for. Our suitcases were filled with gifts for the 3 of them and no one else. 

Shraddha and I excitedly loaded all the boxes into the car as Jaira looked on from the side. She had only seen and heard of the 'infamous' Pihu from phone calls and pictures, Pihu Di had one hell of a reputation to withhold. 

The car zoomed down the familiar streets, and with each passing landmark, my heart quickened in excitement. After four years, the anticipation of reuniting with Pihu and her family had me practically bouncing in my seat.

The taxi halted to a stop and the househelp started unloading the gifts from the trunks. The 3 of us quickly rushed into the house. 

"Marie, who's there?" Dev called out to the house help from the kitchen. 

Shraddha and I exchanged glances, as we sneaked up to the kitchen. 

"BOO!" We yelled in unison. 

Dev's reaction was pure shock, his eyes widening as he turned towards us. A moment of frozen surprise, and then he broke into a wide grin and enveloped us in a warm hug.

I got a nice glance at him taking his face in. My brother-in-law, who looks as if he hasn't aged a single day in the past 4 years. But maybe that's what happens when you're in a happy relationship. Instead of exhausting and aging you, it brightens you. 

"What the heck!" He runs up to us wrapping us in a big hug. "I thought, you guys were coming later today?" 

"We just couldn't wait!" Shraddha beamed. 

As we settled into the living room, Dev played the gracious host, offering coffee and an array of pastries. Both Pihu Di and Dev switched off working so that at least one of them could stay at home and take care of their daughter Diya and since it was wedding season for Pihu Di, Dev was taking time off of his career. 

We chatted for around half an hour when a car pulled up to the front door. Pihu Di came out and entered the door, her hands full with files. 

"There she is! Business person of the year!" I greeted her with a radiant smile.

"Nidha!" she exclaimed, dropping her files in surprise and sprinting towards the living room. Meeting her halfway, I leaped into her arms. The hug felt like medicine, a warm cup of coffee on a cold day—a comforting embrace.

Pihu Di proceeded to greet each of us with infectious enthusiasm, her eyes widening in surprise at the sight of Jaira, and Pihu Di bestowed a loving kiss upon her.

Dev then whisked Jaira away to Diya's room for a playdate.

"Bacha..." Pihu Di turned to me. "I can't believe you're back! I'm never letting you go again!" Her grip tightened on my hand, and a wave of emotions surged through me.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she continued, "I've lived four years without you, and I refuse to endure any more."

My eyes stung, and a cold gust of wind seemed to rush through as she let go of my hand. The emotional stretch was noticeable—a distance that went beyond physical miles. While in Canada, memories of vibrant colors and echoes of laughter felt like a distant dream, and the chilly winds whispered nostalgia.

"Di, I missed you too," I managed to offer a small smile. "But I can't stay here permanently. I'll stay for a couple of months, but eventually, I have to return to my job."