Chapter 2

Lucas POV

I was heading towards my father's office to talk to him about things, one of which is why did he suddenly adopted a girl off the streets. She doesn't seem special also so why? It's not like I was against this but I want a reason and Rosaline also didn't looked happy with his discision.

I passed the library and saw that it's door was open.

Father never leaves the door open and nither do I and we are the only ones who go to the library so why is the door open.

Rosaline never enters saying that ladys should know etiquette, reading is men's thing.

I peeked inside carefully to see who is there, and what I saw shocked me. Katherine was sitting on a chair with a book in her hands reading. She was so immersed in reading that she didn't even noticed me entering.

"She likes to read books" I said to myself but maybe she heard me because she looked up from her book with an emotionless look, the excitement that she had while reading the book was gone.

She stared at me for a while and when I didn't say anything she went back to read the book.

She ignored me , she just completely ignored me. I looked at her for a few more minutes when she finally spoke in cold tune which send shivers down my spine "If you didn't came here to read then please leave and let me read in peace".

I left her reading in the library and went to my father's office. There he was sitting on his desk doing some paperwork.  He looked up from it when he saw me coming inside.

Me and my father were pretty close. We stared at each other for a moment before he asked "What do you want Lucas"

"Dad why did you adopted Katherine?" I asked.

"Why don't you sit and then we will talk" he said. I sat on the chair facing his desk.

"So, her mother passed away yesterday and she had nowhere to go so I adopted her as my daughter" he said calmly.

"Or is she is you illegitimate child" I enquired. I want to know the truth there is no way that he will adopt anyone off the streets just because they have nowhere to go. "And I saw her in the library reading and you also love to read, father"

He sighed and smiled. "She is just like her father" he chuckled. He then looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing" he shrugged "It's that I know her father, he was a close friend of mine and I owe my life to him so when I got to know that he had a daughter who is now an orphan so I took her in and she is not my illegitimate child , and you will not tell anyone about this"

I looked at him for any lie but he was telling the truth, so stupid of me to suspect my own father who is the most honest man in our kingdom.

Having got my answers I took my leave and again went to the library and Katherine was still sitting there reading. I looked closely and found that it was history book of Enchancia.

I left her there reading as I went for my combat practice.

            __________________________

At dinner we all sat at the table waiting for Katherine to arrive before we start but she didn't arrived and the food was getting cold.

"Where is Kathy" Dad asked Anne, Katherine's maid.

"Sir, my lady is not in her room" she replied while looking down.

Where might she has gone I thought to myself and then it clicked "I saw her in the library awhile ago" I said.

Rosaline gasped and dad just shook his head and motion the maid to come here.

"Don't worry, take her food to the library, she will eat there and tomorrow we will have breakfast together" he said.

After dad sent that maid we all started eating. Rosaline didn't looked pleased, I looked at dad who was happy. I sighed.

Lets see what happen and looking at Rosaline I don't have a good feeling.

    ___________________________________

I was going to the library to put back the book that I took when I heard soft snores coming from inside.

The lights were still on inside the library so I looked inside and saw that Katherine was sleeping soundly with the book she was previously reading in her lap.

In the light of the chandeliers she looked like a cute little Angel. She was nor too tall or too short she has the perfect height for her age.

I picked her up and she was too light.

She needs to eat I thought to myself frowning.

Just how can someone survive like this even Rosaline has twice as much weight than her.

So defenceless, I shook my head. Even though I am younger than her I can still easily pick her up.

She is going to turn seven this week and me and Rosaline will turn seven after approximately six months.

I sighed and put her to her bed. Her room looked more good than Rosaline's, everything her was either purple or blue while everything in Rosaline's room was pink.

I again looked at the little Angel sleeping infront of me.

"Even though I don't know why dad adopted you but I vow to always protect you sister"  I wispered to her.

When I was about to go outside I heard her mumble "Me too"

I smiled to myself.

Whatever dad did must be worth it.

With this smile I went back to my room. I felt an oddly connection with her which was all the more stronger than what I feel with Rosaline, my own twin.

Whatever it is but I know I will do anything to protect my new sister.