Chapter 1: The New Girl

Chapter 1

2011

It was the second week after their midterm break and for Freen, it was just another term for her to go through. While most people thought that senior year in high school should be the most exciting phase in anybody's life, Freen prayed that the academic year could end quickly. All she wished for was to graduate high school with flying colours. Nothing excited her more than the thought of leaving the academy. Four long years in there were dreadful enough.

"Have you heard it? There will be freshies coming in today."

The second intake of the term has just begun. It usually happened in March where it was opened to fulfil the vacant quotas of those who had rejected the offer or could not make it for the academic year.

"Hello...excuse me. I'm talking to you, Freen."

Only then, Freen snapped her head towards the direction of the person who was talking. Lily, the dorm leader was staring at her, waiting for a response.

"How do you expect me to answer that?" Freen brought her hands to her chest, crossing them with her signature gesture; 'The Lady Boss' look.

"Nah, you don't even care." Lily grunted.

Freen nodded her agreement.

Lily shook her head, knowing the girl all too well. Famously known as the ice princess, Freen was often described as an empty vessel, cold hearted for her lack of emotion. Some also believed that she was like a dormant volcano, the one which could erupt in any time. A composed person like her seldom lost her temper but once she did, the entire world would turn upside down.

"I just want to let you know that one of them might be placed in our bay. We have an empty bed at the back, y'know?"

Freen brought her sight to the empty bed at the back of the room. They referred the section of their dormitory as 'bay'. Each dormitory was divided into three bays and each bay consisted of ten single beds for the exact same number of students.

"Go babysit her, then." Freen said, cold as ever.

"Can you do me a favour? Just for today. Please?" Lily requested.

"Hmm...what that will be?"

"Please don't scare away whoever person that will come to our dorm today."

"Hey, do I look like a bogeyman?" Freen snapped.

"Nope but see yourself. It's your cold self that send shivers down the spine to those around you. Remember the girl that requested to change the dorm last year?" Lily brought up the old story.

"I didn't know that me being myself and minding my own business could be a nuisance to others. For God's sake I did nothing to them."

"What I mean is please put a smile on your face today but don't overdo it because it doesn't suit you well." Lily said, giving a tap on Freen's shoulder before she made her way out. The bell rang a second later. The timing was really on Lily's side because they needed to rush for the morning assembly before the lessons began for the day, the daily roll call.

*******

The Great Maharani Academy was once known as the school for the nobles but as time changed, it is opened to commoners. These days, only those from the elites could attend the academy. Nonetheless, the academy practiced a highly selective recruitment for the students where only those with great academic background could apply and enter. Ranked as one of the top high schools nationwide, Freen as proud as she could say was one of the contributors for such achievement. The academy education system segregated the students into six different classrooms accordingly to their pointer and performance. She has been in the top rank ever since her freshman year. Freen has never failed to maintain her position among the top students.