Chapter 16: Glimpse of The Past

Chapter 16

The academy's administrative office was bizarrely quiet that not a single soul was seen except the front desk lady and the two young girls who were patiently waiting in the lounge area just outside of the principal's room. The awkward silence and those vacant stares of the girls, bore thousands of unspoken thoughts. Superficially, there was nothing strange with them but beneath that deadpan expression it did look like they wanted to strangle each other again. However then, the situation forbade them from doing so.

Right, Neeta and Becky were summoned by the principal after the incident at the infirmary. They had nothing in their power to prevent the academy's nurse from bringing up the matter into the attention of the headmaster. Auntie Mhee believed the girls must be disciplined.

Minutes turned into an hour and after it felt like eternity, the awaited figure finally made her first appearance. An older woman of her early fifty showed up at the main entrance seemingly surprised to see the presence of the two students there. Neeta and Becky rose up to their feet simultaneously, greeting the headmaster with all respect.

"Ah, both of you are here." The headmaster said as if she just remembered that she had an appointment with the two students today.

The principal brushed her gaze over the two girls, taking in their appearance. She recognized the first girl immediately; Neeta had half of her face covered with band-aid patches. The scratches from their last catfight might be visible without those cover up. The girl next to Neeta was unfamiliar but she knew instantly who the girl was; the Armstrong genetics dominated the whole complexion of the foreign looking girl – it's Rebecca.

"Let's get into my office." The headmaster walked ahead, inviting both Neeta and Becky to her room.

Neeta trailed after the elder first, followed by Becky. The moment they were gone into the room, the Fabulous Four showed up right in front of the front desk lady, startling the woman in charge.

"How can I help you, Kade?" The front desk lady queried while looking through her glasses that seemed to be hanging loosely on the bridge of her nose.

"Can we...wait here? They are our friends." Kade humbly requested, flashing her innocent smile. Kade by far was the one who frequently visited the administrative office just because she had a lot to do with her peer group counsellor duty. The gang thought it would be suitable if Kade did all the negotiation.

"It'll be easier if you just tell that you want to eavesdrop the entire things that happened inside there, kids." The front desk lady said, not really paying attention to the gang.

"Can we do that?" Tee interrupted.

"No." The front desk lady shook a finger. "If you want to stay here, you can wait in the lounge area. Otherwise, kindly leave."

*******

Neeta and Becky sat adjacent to each other on the opposite side of the rectangular desk facing the principal. Momentarily, Becky could not believe that she must come into that room not even a year after she got into the academy. Of all the places she had gone to, throughout the years due to the nature of her father's work, this would be the first time that she ever got into trouble and ended up at the most unfavourable place.

"I'm not expecting to see you here." The headmaster meant it for Neeta. Who would not know the girl? She's one of the most well-known students in the academy; the brightest among the other stars.