Chapter 8: An odd feeling

Author's note: A short one today, was originally going to have it longer but, it became too long. Hopefully that makes sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bowser had given Slg4 one of the sandwiches that he and Mario made for the construction crew. The Luigi recolor had to try so hard to not eat it in one piece. "Wow! That's pretty good!"

The koopa grinned. "Glad to see my cooking is still up to your liking L!"

After Three's story Smg1 and Smg2 had left, leaving Three, Four, Bowser, Mario, Meggy and Slg4.

The plumber watched the man eat, like he hasn't eaten in years, well, that's because he probably he actually has! 'Something still feels off.' Mario thought to himself, it seems his worry had caught someone else's attention.

"Hey, Red? Are you okay? You barely even touched your spaghetti at all." The former inkling whispered to the plumber. It's not every day you see Mario not eat his favorite dish.

"There's just something fishy about this." The plumber murmured. Mario stabbed his fork into the pasta, twirling it around aimlessly. "Why did this guy come back from the dead and not one of our friends?"

Meggy did not know what to say, that's true, I mean it's not she isn't happy for Three for getting his brother back. But, why? She turned her head to see Smg3 telling Slg4 something, a funny memory perhaps? As the two were grinning and laughing like hyenas.

The inking turned human thought for a moment 'Maybe that crystal? No, Smg4 said you get trapped in there. Slg4 is clearly here, so it can't be that.' She turned back to face Mario. "Red, maybe it's best if we just drop it. I don't think we're going to get any answers soon."

Mario let out a huff of disappointment and mumbled something in Italian.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin was listening to Three talk about many memories that he doesn't remember. A knot was in his stomach. 'I feel bad.' The Luigi recolor thought to himself. 'I don't have his brother's memories; I just have that one episode. And I don't really remember that!'

"Good to see that didn't really change since 2016." Four smirked, Three face became flushed.

The hell? That's what he gets for zoning out. Kevin spoke up clearly confused. "What happened in 2016?"

The meme man suddenly looked pale, like he had made a big mistake. A few moments of silence pass. "Nothing to important." Four's face became pink, Three awkwardly looked away from Kevin.

Kevin turned to koopa hoping for an answer. Bowser shrugged clearly just as lost as he was.

"S-so L, ca- can call you that? Where are you going to stay, I mean do you even have a house?" Smg4 asked.

That was a really good point, he didn't have a place to stay. 'Didn't this guy live in a trash can?'

"The Starbucks has a spare bedroom; he can stay there for the time being." Three said.

"Uh, are you sure?" Kevin asked. "I don't want to impose." That feeling of awkwardness waved over him again. Kevin saw Smg3 furrow his eyebrows.

Uh oh.

Luckily for Kevin, Smg4 came to the rescue. "What about the Ugandan knuckles? Won't they be a problem?"

"Nah, not really." Three shrugged. "Those guys can always sniff out phones in a hundred-mile radius. I'm pretty sure L didn't bring a phone in his coffin." Three explained. "Although, tell me next time if they try to swarm you, I can call them off."

Kevin could not help but chuckle, 'They're such good friends.' Before realizing something 'Wait, crap! I'm supposed to not know anything after my death!'

"Wait, Starbucks?" Kevin hoping, he sounded confused enough.

Three bought Kevin's acting. "It's a long story but to keep it short, it's where I live now taking care of the dead memes." Three paused for a second before face palming "Wait! You don't even know about the meme life cycle! God fucking dammit." Four chuckled, Three's face was slightly pink.

Today was going to be a long day, as if it wasn't already long enough.