18- Ephemeral

Ephemeral: lasting for a very short time.

Unknown Number: "Hello, Ma'am. It's been several days since you called and I have been looking forward to hearing from you for days."

Madina: "Hi. Who's this?"

Unknown Number: "A number you called days ago to rant about your day because it makes you feel better. I admire your grit and would like to hear more from you."

Madina: "Oh, sorry. I do not call a number twice for privacy reasons and stuff. Thank you so much for your concern, it means a lot. I won't bother you no more."

Unknown Number: "Don't mention. I'm glad to have helped."

Unknown Number: "I hope I'm not invading but you see, I'm actually amongst the few therapists here in Nigeria. We can work anyhow you like it. I'm very interested in your case even though you want your privacy, I understand that. You can call me whenever you like, talk to me and I won't say a thing. Whenever you feel like you don't want to talk to me anymore, I'll rule down what is it you need. After your last session, there are so many things I want to know about you to be able to come to conclusion."

Madina: "I don't need a therapist. Thanks for the offer though."

Unknown Number: "Mental health is terribly underrated especially here in Nigeria. There are rare mental health professionals here. You need help even though you don't want it. I don't have to know who you are and you won't know me either. And I'm going to work for you for free."

Madina: "Ugh, you sound too persuasive. Alright then, I'll save your number and keep calling. Nothing personal should be involved for you won't know even my name."

Unknown Number: "I can work with that, Miss Anonymous. I look forward to hearing from you."

It was one in the morning when Madina decided that she cannot stay back inside her room and suffocate when she is not ready to talk to her incognito therapist neither can she hibernate. Not after they spoke just few hours ago, she'd or he'd think that she's been waiting for something like this. Free therapy session.

Walking around the room, she took a Burberry short cutolles and shrugged her short legs inside the gaps, slothful hands hanging around the band in exhaustion. She wants to get high or something because it's been a while. She's been celibate and sober for so long that she cannot feel her mind.

She struggled her hands inside a dark ebony tank top across her braless chest then made her way out of the room forgetting to remove the wig she's slept with, it looks filthy. Drunkenly ambling to the kitchen in search of something to drink from the fridge, preferably a wine with alcohol in it.

There was no success in finding the alcoholic wine but there was pure ritzy white wine inside the fridge making her double take. She didn't order that which reminded her that she shares the suite with Bilal. He probably bought it for himself but that didn't stop her from taking the bottle.

The last time she's seen him was two days ago when they went to the Rainbow Mountain and he saved her twice.

The lights were still off throughout the suite so she made her way outside the balcony she's never bothered going to. The vivacious lights outside beckoned her dimmed obtuse ones. If she's going to nurse an expensive bottle of wine, she needs the view of that castle-like hotel they are staying at.

She sat down on one of the chairs there, her feet at the edge, legs propped beneath her chin as she lay her head on her knees looking at the horizon with blank eyes. The sky is lit with stars, twinkling and almost mocking the dullness that surrounded her. Madina cannot believe how bleak she was from within while the stars shine above her. So close yet they've never been so far away.