Heartbreak of the Present

Featured song lyrics:

1. "For the Love of a Daughter" by Demi Lovato

2. "I Knew You Were Trouble" by Taylor Swift

Days went by.

After school, Myra sat in her room, playing a song on her guitar and writing lyrics in her notebook.

Myra:

It's been some years

Since we've spoken last

And you can't take back

What we never had

Oh, I can be manipulated

Only so many times

Before even "I love you"

Starts to sound like a lie

You have a hollowed-out heart

But it's heavy in your chest

I tried so hard to fight it

But it's hopeless, hopeless (hopeless)

You're hopeless

Myra felt tears come to her eyes as she'd been thinking about her biological father now. She looked at the picture of her family. Lyle Dawson was the best father Myra knew when she was small. At the time, she didn't know who her biological father was; she only knew he was a Jedi after her mother told her when a Jedi came to their house when she was four, saying they believed she had a Force-sensitive child. She remembered her mother telling her to stay in her room and be quiet. And then she heard a lot of yelling as her mother kicked the Jedi out of their house and literally slammed the door on them.

Myra knew her mother wanted what was best for her. And from what she knew of the Jedi Code at the time, giving Myra to the Order would've been the worst decision Brenda could've made. As a Jedi, Myra would likely not see her mother again, nor would she be in charge of her own destiny. Jedi steered clear of so many things that invoked emotion, and music was one of them, which explained the lack of Jedi in the audiences at Count Crescendo concerts.

"Of all the guys she could've dated," Myra sniffed. "Why did it have to be Master Windu?"

Brenda didn't know Myra knew, but Myra recalled from her mother telling her about her biological father when she asked why he wasn't there. Brenda tried not to show it, but she was heartbroken.

"Myra?" said a voice.

And Myra looked toward her bedroom door to see a little boy with light skin like the man in Myra's family photo, and curly dark hair like his sister. His name was Kade. He was Myra's little brother from her stepfather. He wasn't Force-sensitive like Myra, but he was a very sweet boy.

Gabby didn't meet him earlier because he'd been on a playdate at a friend's house at the time.

Myra loved Kade very much, and they were very close, especially after Lyle passed away. Kade didn't remember the accident that killed his father, but Myra remembered it clear as day. Their mother broke both of her legs that day, and it fell to Myra to take care of Kade until she got better. Knowing her own father left her behind, she would've thought she had it worse. But, she'd gotten to know Lyle and have him as her father, whereas her little brother more than likely wouldn't be able to remember his father, and now he was gone.