Elements of Pollution Part 1

In honor of Earth Day, I've decided to write a chapter that takes on the topic of pollution. But any day is a great day to think about how we can care for the planet. This planet is our home, and we need to take care of it.

Spring, a beautiful time of year. The flowers are in bloom, the grass is new and green, and animals are waking up from hibernation. Such a beautiful cycle existed on many planets of the Republic, and on many of the home planets of the Jedi.

On Coruscant, however, most of the plants that existed needed to have specially made grounds in order to grow, as most of the planet was made of steel and concrete. But in some parts of the planet, there were parks with natural beauty.

Today, Master Windu was accompanying his wife-to-be Brenda to a park where their kids Myra and Kade were playing frisbee with their friends Comedia and Round n' Round. This park was particularly great because it was one of the biggest parks on Coruscant with lots of plant life. There was even a lake to add some more natural charm.

For the last month, Myra began receiving Jedi training under her father's supervision. She wanted to make a lightsaber of her own, but Mace said they would get her into the Gathering once she officially turned sixteen next month. They had a lot of stuff for her to catch up on, and most of the time she used what Force abilities she learned to experiment with musical instruments.

"I'm open!" Round n Round called.

"Here it comes!" Myra cheered, and she threw the frisbee, the unicorn running after it, only to stop as she felt something disgusting on her hoof.

"Ugh! Gross!" Round n Round lifted her hoof and scraped it on the ground as she'd stepped into some sticky gum.

"What happened?"

"I stepped in someone's chewed gum!"

"Eww!" Comedia groaned.

"I hate it when people do this. It's not just unsanitary, it's gross."

While Myra took Round n Round to get her hoof cleaned, Kade and Comedia decided to keep playing. But as they ran across the park, they found a lot of trash on the ground that they had to avoid so they wouldn't get hurt.

Cans, bottles, plastic bags, candy wrappers, all kinds of garbage were all over the park. Comedia found this odd; she'd been here before, and there was not nearly as much trash on the ground. And then she stepped on something that got stuck around her leg. Comedia looked at it and saw that it was one of those plastic things wrapped around six-packs of soda.

Comedia tried to shake the thing off her leg, but it was stuck. She also tried to chew it with her teeth.

"Hey, Kade. Think you can help me pull this off?" Comedia asked.

"Sure."

Kade tried to get it off, but only succeeded in getting the plastic really tangled up.

"Uh oh."

"Stupid plastic." Comedia groaned, trying again to chew it off.

"I'll go see if Mommy has something we can use to cut it off." Kade said, running off.

"And I'll see if I can get this off myself."

So, Comedia kept trying to shake the plastic wrapping off her leg, but as she was chewing, she fell over and got her tail caught in a plastic bag, and an empty soda can got snagged too. Whatever was taking Kade so long, it sure wasn't helping Comedia avoid getting trapped in more garbage she ran into, but didn't realize how close she'd gotten to the lake... until she fell in and found it wasn't crystal blue water like she remembered.