thirteen

The next day, the second year students are in the Herbology greenhouses as Professor Sprout enters. "Morning, everyone." She taps the stand to get everyone's attention "Good morning, everyone."

"Good morning, Professor Sprout." The students call out in unison.

"Welcome to Greenhouse 3, Second Year. Now gather around everyone. Today, we're going to re-pot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root?"

The only one who raises their hand was Hermione. "Yes Miss Granger?" Sprout points to the girl. "Mandrake or Mandragora is used to return those who have been petrified to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrakes cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"How does she just know that?" Sirius askes completely baffled. "She reads pads." Remus deadpans.

"Excellent. 10 points for Gryffindor." Ada smiles at Hermione feeling proud of her friend. "Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet, but they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I've given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So could you please put them on right away? Quickly."

The class picks up the earmuffs placing it on there head. "Flaps tight down and watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly... You pull it sharply up out of the pot.." Professor Sprout lifts the Mandrake causing it to let out an ear piercing cry and everyone grabs their ears.

The hall winces at the sound of cry some older years remembering how much they hated that lesson.

Sprout looks at the plant with a grimace "Got it.. And now dunk it down into the other pot.." The Mandrake is now sat in the pot still squealing as Sprout chucks dirt into the pot. "And pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm."

The squeal gets higher and higher and Neville starts swaying ultimately passing out falling straight to the floor. Professor Sprout sighs. "Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs."

"No ma'am he's just fainted." Seamus points out. "Yes well, just leave him there." Some students look at the woman like she was insane.

"Pomona you can't just leave a student on the floor." Minnie scolds but Sprouts waves her off "He was fine."

"Right, on we go. Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake... And pull it up." Everyone pulls their Mandrake up casing a series of high pitch cries to fill the room.

Everyone covers their ears in pain. "It's giving me a headache." Ron groans. Once again Neville passes out, Luna heads over to him and gives him a light tap on his cheek attempting to wake him up. "Come on Neville it's time to wake up now." Her dreamy voice rang out.

Draco starts tickling the Mandrake when it suddenly bites his finger, he struggles to get it out. Mattheo chuckles watching Draco get free and slamming it into the pot.

Blissful silence welcomes the hall as the next scene pops up on the screen.

"There's nearly headless Nick." Two students walk very close to each other. "Hello Percy, Miss Clearwater." Nick greets.

"Ooooh Percy look it's you and your girlfriend." Ginny teases as the boy blushes in embarrassment.

Everyone is eating lunch in the hall. Ron is taping up his wand looking at it with sadness, "Say it. I'm doomed."

"You're Doomed."

"Hi Ada." A cheerful voice pops up, a sudden flash momentarily blinding the girl as a golden retriever like boy takes her photo. "I'm Colin Creevey. I'm in Gryffindor too." Ada smiles at the sweet energetic boy "Hi Colin. Nice to meet you."