twenty-five

Beautiful flowers gleam in the dawn light, then, slowly begin to wither. The dew freezes, the grass grows brittle. Seconds later, the Dementors sweep by. A tall wardrobe rattles violently as Ada, Mattheo, Ron and several classmates regard it warily. "Intriguing, yes? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?" Professor Lupin asks. Seamus answers in a hushed voice "That's a Boggart, that is."

"Very good, Mr. Finnigan. Cananyone tell us what a Boggartlooks like?"

"No one knows." Ron jumps, glances at Hermione, then whispers to Ada, who was playing rock paper scissors with Mattheo. "When'd she get here?"

"Nice to see you paying attention cub." Remus' voice full of sarcasm. "I was. I can multitask." Ada says while Mattheo smirks and whispers in her ear. "Yeah you can." Then winks. Ada's face turns bright red and slaps his arm as Sirius eyes them suspiciously.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of what ever a particular person fears most. That's what makes it so..."

"Terrifying, yes. Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a Boggart. Let's practice it now, shall we? Without wands, please... Riddikulus!" Remus teaches.

"You are hot as a professor." Sirius whispers to his husband. Remus raises his eyebrows and smirks. "Oh really?" Sirius nods eustatically and hums. "I wouldn't mind you as my teacher." Ada who heard this whole convocation had a horrified look on her face.

"Riddikulus!" All the students repeat. Muttering softly Draco says "It's this class is ridiculous."

"Good. So much for the easy part. You see, the in cantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a Boggart off is...laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Neville, come up here, will you?" Neville eyes the rattling wardrobe, steps forward queasily. "What would you say is the thing that frightens you most?" Remus asks.

"Profter... Snafpt..." Neville mutter incoherently. Lupin steps a bit closer "Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry." Bit louder Neville repeats himself "Professor Snape." Everyone laughs good-naturedly. Lupin nods thoughtfully. Ada whispers to Mattheo. "It's sad that Snape is his fear. Like no ones greatest fear should be their teacher. Snape just bullies him to the point he's frightened."

Minnie glares at Snape, who has a stone cold face. "She's right. No student should be afraid of their teacher. We will be having words on how you treat your students." McGonagall tells the greasy man with a stern look.

"Hmmm... yes. Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?" Remus says with a small smile "Yes, but I don't want the Boggart to turn into her either." Neville rushes out. "It won't. But I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes, very clearly in your mind. Can you do that?" Remus gives his instructions, closing his eyes Neville starts naming what she wears "She carries a red handbag..."

"That's fine. We don't need to hear it. If you see it, we will. Now, when I open this wardrobe, Neville, here's what I want you todo..." Lupin leans close to Neville, whispers. Neville's eyes pop open in shock. Consider Lupin uncertainly. "You can do this, Neville." Neville nods nervously, takes a deep breath. "Right then. Wand at the ready. One. Two. Three!" Sparks jet from Lupin's wand, strike the doorknob, and the wardrobe bursts open. Instantly, Snape appears, eyes flashing hideously as he stalks forward. Neville backs away in fright.

"Think, Neville. Think!" Remus encourages. "R-r-riddikulus!" Snape stumbles in a flash of light and reappears... in a long, lace-trimmed dress, towering moth eaten hat, and crimson handbag. Instantly, the class roars in laughter. Neville blinks, amazed, then slowly, grins himself.