twenty-six

An ocean of sleeping bags, finds Ada lying awake, staring at the net of stars glimmering beyond the highest window. A gentle creak is heard and Ada's eyes shift, see Snape pass through the great doors, converge with Dumbledore. "I've done the dungeons, Headmaster. No sign of Black. Nor anywhere else in the castle."

"I didn't really expect him to linger." Dumbledore nods with a absent look. "Remarkable feat, don't you think? To enter Hogwarts castle on one's own, completely undetected..." Snape starts hinting as Dumbledore gazes at the students, refusing to take the bait. "You may recall, prior to the start of term, I did express my concerns when you appointed Professor."

Ada rolls her eyes, it was obvious who Snape was implying. Remus had an offended look on his face. Yes Sirius is innocent but he didn't know that at the time, he would never put the students in danger by letting a murderer into the building. Even if he was his husband.

"I do not believe a single professor inside this castle would have helped Sirius Black enter it, Severus." As Snape's eyes glitter darkly, Dumbledore gazes out over the slumbering students. "No... I feel quite confident the castle is safe. And I'm more than willing to let the students return to their Houses. But tomorrow. For now, let them sleep..." As Dumbledore's gaze finds Ada, she shuts her eyes, feigns sleep.

Snape dramatically slams the door open and strutting down the walkway closing all the blinds and pulls down a screen over the blackboard, spins. "Turn to page 394." He tells the students who are just staring at him in confusion.

"Where's Re- I mean Professor Lupin?" Ada asks from beside Mattheo "That's not really your concern, is it, Potter? Suffice it to say, your Professor finds himself incapable of teaching at the present time. Page 394." Snape waves and a slide show begins. An Ancient Woodcut of a Horrific Beast flickers at the front of the room. Ron frowns down at his book. "Werewolves?"

"Wow Snivellus I wonder why you chose to teach that topic." Sirius remarks rolling his eyes. Snape glares and says "It's important to teach the students about all the monsters." Remus looks down at the word felling a pit in his stomach.

Ada sent a hateful glare to the dungeon bat. "It's also important for people to know how to wash their hair and yet you seem to be incapable of that." She says while everyone lets out a laugh looking at the greasy man. Snape glares at the floor and grips the sides of his chair so tight that his knuckles turn white. He's so sick of the Potter brat embarrassing him.

"But, sir, we've only just begun learning about Red Caps and Hinkypunks. We're not meant to start nocturnal beasts for weeks." Hermione informs confused at the sudden change in topic. "Quiet!" Snape sneers while Ron looks over to Ada and Mattheo "When did she come in? Did you see her come in..." The two just shrug and face their teacher. "Now. Which of you can tell me the difference between an Animagus and a werewolf?"

As the class stares mutely at a slide of an attacking werewolf , Hermione raises her hand waiting desperately to respond to Snape's question. "No one? How... disappointing." Snape tuts obviously ignoring Hermione. "Please, sir, an Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice in the matter. Furthermore, the werewolf actively hunts humans and responds only to the call of its own kind." Hermione says, Malfoy lets out a low howl and laughs with his friends.

"Quiet, Malfoy! Though one must admit to feeling your pain. That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Tellme. Are you incapable of restraining yourself? Or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?" Snape snaps as Hermione looks down with teary eyes. Ada was about to say something but Ron beat her to it. "You asked us a question and she knows the answer! Why ask if you don't want to be told?"