ghost maidens.7

"let's go!" Qing Xuan cheered as we headed to the Heavenly Gates to descend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I initially thought that two members of the Pei family ascending was truly a miracle story in the human realm," my brother said as we travelled with Qing Xuan to Ghost City. I was carrying Kiyoshi while Kohana was watching the wind master with interest. "But I didn't think that the water master and wind master would actually be biological brothers who ascended; that's even more phenomenal."

"People thought the same thing till we ascended, brother." I spoke up, holding my boy in my arms as we were getting closer to our destination.

"Exactly!" Qing Xuan said, pointing to their fan. "You two both cultivated on the same land; most likely, you had the same teacher, so you both ascended in the same lifetime."

"Oh!" I drew out the reaction, remembering how my brother's teacher was reluctant to teach me. "He refused to teach me until I basically snuck into the same room as my brother, and he regurgitated the cultivation lessons for me."

"oh!" Qing Xuan laughed.

"Yeah, Mei Nianqing wasn't too excited," I explain. I felt Kohana stop behind me. I turned back and saw her face. "Kohana? what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

brother, and Shi Qing Xuan stopped and looked back. She was fine until I said that name.

"Lord Cheng-"

"Ah!" I spun after hearing a new voice behind us. A demon stood there. horns that stretched out to the sides with a curved point and faded to dark before ending. Their hair was a dark, smokey grey that swayed along his shoulder blades. Spikes appeared from the top of his head before trailing to the middle of their foreheads. The spikes mimicked his horns with shading. Their eyes were dark, and the sea at night could match the dark blue hue. Their mouths stretched up to the side spikes just below his eyes. Their hands faded darkly toward the claws. They had this old golden collar with a ruby in the center. hold a connection around their shoulders before attaching to thick, armored sleeves. Gold lined the botting of the arms before cuffing around the wrists. could be seen on the left side of their chest. It was easy to tell they could smith and fight. The muscle over his body made it clear that he could throw a boulder a few hundred miles. The scar could be from a fight. Their trousers were held up by a thin leather belt. The bottom of the trouser legs were torn. Their feet were shaded black near the ankle.

 Their feet were shaded black near the ankle

"My name is Xai Mio." they said as their gem-imbedded tail swung from side to side with a black flame on the point of the tail. "Lord Chengzu is waiting for you two."

They looked directly at my brother, and Honger knows! Oh, he knows! Xai Mio led us to our destination as an escort. brother and Qing Xuan talked about Shi Wudu and Pei's relationship and how Qing Xuan recalled Brother mentioning Banyue pass in the communications array and thought, "Oh, this guy is pretty good! His sister was right about him".

Xai Mio acts like there is something ahead that requires all their attention. strange when it's put on a person. It sounds a lot like a blacksmith I knew when I would sneak out of the Xianle Palace when I was thirteen. In the corner of my eye, I saw Qing Xuan shift to their feminine form. Kohana was lagging behind a fair bit. Why did she suddenly burst into tears when I said that name? Kiyoshi began to shift in his sleep.

"Kiyoshi," I cooed as I petted his head. He hummed as he lifted his head. I hadn't noticed how dark it was now. Shadows hid almost all of Kiyoshi's face. The ground was covered in a carpet of fog. Crowds sounded over their heads. We must be getting close. past Xai Mio, grave stones began to appear from the shadows and fog. I adjusted my baby to one arm while sliding my mask on with the other. light glowed ahead of us. The further we go, the more light I can see. The light is a lantern that a deceased woman was carrying. Coming closer, there was an entire group of women who were carrying lanterns to light the way.

"I'm so happy that Ghost City is open again!" One woman chirped with a smile. Her eyes were completely black. Her hair was up in a style I don't recognize. A withering flower was placed on the left side of her hair in the back. Flaws in her skin were on the same side, hidden by her raven hair. A sheer face covering hung from her ears, leaving her lower face outlined. Her robes were off-white. just like the many others with aged and torn clothing. "I'm going to get my face done."

A woman next to her with a sheer head covering asked, "What's wrong with your face? Didn't you go last time?"

"Ah, it rotted again."

"Are they going to Ghost City too?" Brother asked Xai Mo in a whispered tone.

"Yes, your highness." Xai Mio responded. strange. that voice sounds vary in familiarity. "We will be travelling with them for the time being."

"The wretched ghost that did my face guaranteed that it would last a year, but look at me now," the ghost woman complained with a sob. "It hasn't even been half a year."

"Oh my, that's really—which store was it?" The other ghost from before asked with a stiff voice. I hadn't noticed till now how much pride a ghost puts into their appearance in some cases, like these women. "I'll stay away from them."

We followed close behind. ensuring no noise could be heard from the five of us. I couldn't help but notice how depressed Kohana's stance became. I don't need to turn my head to know that she's lowered her head and holding her left upper arm with her sleeve, showing her wrist with thin and almost unnoticeable scars.

"Hm?" a ghost beside us hummed. I looked to the right. Xai Mio remained close by. They may have something to say when questioned. though we could say we recently died. but they most likely wouldn't believe us if we said that. "Xai Mio, who are you travelling with? I don't recognize them."

shoot. Wait... that name... "huh? "Xai Mio"? wasn't that..?"

"Some new guests," they said, stepping in the way. I looked up. Now that I think about the name, I remember someone who had the exact same name. "They all have travelled thousands of miles to come to Ghost City."

The many ghost maidens nearby were staring around the person before us.

"Excuse me, but your faces..." The maiden from before spoke again. I began to panic. Can they see through masks? I heard of some ghosts that can do this easily.