questions.42

"I‌ ‌mean‌ ‌it.‌ ‌It's‌ ‌best‌ ‌to‌ ‌let‌ ‌go."‌ the Guoshi said with distain. I held the girl closer as she cried.

"Your‌ ‌Highness!‌ ‌Let‌ ‌go!‌ ‌Be‌ ‌careful‌ ‌of..."‌ ‌Feng Xin shouted but‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌end‌ ‌he‌ ‌didn't‌ ‌have‌ ‌the‌ ‌heart‌ ‌to‌ ‌continue.‌

"It's‌ ‌fine."‌ ‌Xie‌ ‌Lian‌ ‌said.‌ i saw that Zhu Shixiong wasn't having it. He ran over and was reaching out for the kid who was wiping blood and snot on my brother's robes.

"Little‌ ‌kid,‌ ‌you‌ ‌can't!"‌ ‌the second he tried to pull Honger away, something came in and began barking at him, scaring him. A brown mass of fur blocked him and guarded Xie Lian. It's teeth bared and blue eyes flaring. The peach-pink heart dangling from it's collar gleamed as the wolf growled and barked at everyone to keep back.

"Good boy, Zuko." I cheered as everyone saw that my wolf had come here from the Xianle palace to the pavilion in order to protect the boy. Zuko has always been a good boy like this. Even when I was nearly assassinated, he somehow knew and killed my attacker, with only my brother knowing this.

"Never mind.‌ ‌Don't‌ ‌worry,‌ ‌let‌ ‌him‌ ‌be."‌ ‌ ‌‌Xie Lian said as everyone kept their distance. "Was‌ ‌anyone‌ ‌else‌ ‌hurt‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌Xianle‌ ‌Pavilion‌ ‌fire?"‌

"No."‌ ‌Mu‌ ‌Qing‌ ‌replied,‌ ‌"There‌ ‌were‌ ‌only‌ ‌us‌ ‌inside‌ ‌at‌ ‌the‌ ‌time."‌

I looked around and could clearly say, Brother, I can't stay here anymore. So we left after some discussion. I, however, made sure that my brother's and my sword collections were left unharmed. We ‌stored‌ ‌them‌ ‌temporarily‌ ‌at‌ ‌the‌ ‌SiXiang‌ ‌Pavilion‌ ‌that‌ ‌belonged‌ ‌to‌ ‌the‌ ‌Guoshis.‌ the kids were both holding onto the both of us. They both cried themselves exhausted before they finally fell asleep. I left Chun with Honger in the bed before my brother righted the covers and dropped the bedside curtain. He left ‌with‌ ‌Feng‌ ‌Xin‌ ‌and‌ ‌Mu‌ ‌Qing‌ ‌in‌ ‌tow while i stayed behind with the kids.‌ if i had to guess, the Guoshi is going to ask the same question as before. "Who would you give the cup of water to?" He asked me and my brother. my answer? "Give them ice. It'll last longer, and I can make more of it." and he was surprised and pissed. I can guess what the boys will say, while Xie Lian has said, "Give them another cup," from what I remember. Mu Qing will probably say, "may i ask who those two people are, their natures are like, and their merits? a decision can only be made once all details are shown." meanwhile Feng Xin would say " i don't know! don't ask me, tell them to decide amongst themselves!"

"Pfft!" I held back one of my typical snorty laughs. I don't want to wake the kids up. Zuko snapped his head up when he heard me. I can imagine the boys reaction to their brothers words. We may be royally born, but I have heard others criticize my brother and me for our words behind our backs. I know that Guoshi will say that what my brother and I gave as an answer is childish. ass hole. He might say that, but he is too proud of Xie Lian to put an end to his idea, and I am too stubborn to listen to the older generation on what's right or wrong.  I became restless and used a mana orb to spy on my brother. It didn't take long before my vision flashed to the hall. The state preceptor, Xie Lian, Feng Xin, and Mu Qing were standing together. then, Xie Lian asked something that made my eyes widen.

"Guoshi,‌ ‌do‌ ‌you‌ ‌think‌ ‌Sister and I‌ ‌can‌ ‌ascend?"‌ ‌i froze. How did he know that? Did he hear Father and I make that bet? A few months ago, I confronted him about the arranged marriage between a young man named Shen Zuan. an idiot by birth. He and I were arranged to marry at a young age. When I finally told my father I wanted nothing to do with that young prince, who's three years younger than me, I stated my bet. "If I ascend, the marriage is off." I said this to him, full of confidence and ready to fight back. But he just slanted his upper body forward and folded his arms before saying, "Then so be it." I stifled a smirk on my face before I felt myself beam. My father almost never humor's me. and that was the first time in a few years. It was electrifying! I smiled at him and promised I'd become the second strongest after Xie Lian. he stood up shocked. I ran off before he could say another word.

"If‌ neither of ‌you‌ ‌can ‌ascend‌ ‌then‌ ‌no‌ ‌one‌ ‌can.‌ ‌It's‌ ‌only‌ ‌a‌ ‌matter‌ ‌of‌ ‌time."‌ i looked to the Guoshi. i didn't know he thought that way about both Xie Lian and i. how he saw my brother, i already knew, but not about me.

"Then,‌ ‌just watch."  ‌i just looked at the ground, for a while.

"If‌ ‌one‌ ‌day‌ we ‌ascend,‌ ‌she and I‌ ‌will‌ ‌for‌ ‌sure‌ ‌do‌ ‌all‌ ‌that‌ ‌I‌ ‌said‌ ‌today,‌ ‌and‌ ‌become‌ ‌a‌ ‌power‌ ‌to‌ ‌behold!"‌ ‌Feng Xin and Mu Qing were the first i looked to. Mu Qing's eyes were lit up the same way Xie Lian's did whenever he talked about becoming a god. Feng Xin's lips curled into a smile he uses when he is sure and anticipating something big for Brother and me.

"Very‌ ‌well,‌ ‌I‌ ‌shall‌ ‌wait‌ ‌and‌ ‌see‌ ‌–‌ ‌however,‌ ‌I‌ ‌don't‌ ‌think‌ ‌it's‌ ‌a‌ ‌good‌ ‌thing‌ ‌for‌ ‌you‌ ‌to‌ ‌ascend‌ ‌too‌ ‌early.‌ ‌Let‌ ‌me‌ ‌ask‌ ‌you,‌ ‌what‌ ‌is‌ ‌The‌ ‌Path?"‌ ‌i looked to brother, with a warm feeling swelling in my chest. He's looked out for me, and I wanted to know if I could ascend with him. He's the best older brother a twin sister could ask for. even though it feels like I don't deserve a brother like him.

Xie‌ ‌Lian‌ ‌inclined‌ ‌his‌ ‌head,‌ ‌"As‌ ‌you‌ ‌have‌ ‌said,‌ ‌that‌ ‌which‌ ‌is‌ ‌walked‌ ‌is‌ ‌The‌ ‌Path."‌

"That's‌ ‌correct."‌ ‌The‌ ‌Guoshi‌ ‌said,‌ ‌"But,‌ ‌you‌ and Mei Mei ‌haven't‌ ‌walked‌ ‌enough.‌ ‌So,‌ ‌I‌ ‌think‌ ‌it's‌ ‌time‌ ‌for‌ ‌you‌ both ‌to‌ ‌take‌ ‌a‌ ‌walk‌ ‌down‌ ‌the‌ ‌mountain."‌ ‌‌Xie‌ ‌Lian‌'s ‌face‌ ‌lit‌ ‌up.‌ ‌i looked to him, and he was smiling. I felt something warm spill down my cheeks. Wow, is this making me cry right now? heh!