reunion.10

The hellhound launched towards us with a familiar collar from eight hundred years ago. aged and torn fabric with a heart-shaped pendant

"Zuko?" The aged pink collar with a scratched rosy heart pendant was the exact same one that I gave to a wolf I took in! I swept my feet into a strong stance, ready to catch the pitch-furred creature flying my way.  I held up my hands and swayed my upper body out of the way before taking hold of the wolf. He squirmed for a moment before sniffing my sleeve. He calmed down for a second. He was practically stunned. I relaxed my arms in order to adjust the bundle of fir.  Zuko made eye contact with me. His eyes were predatory. He realized who was holding him. He shrank, literally! He became puppy-sized! He started yipping and licking my face. I giggled as I held my little guy close.

"I missed you, Zuko," I whispered against his face. He nuzzled his head into my shoulder. His tail wagged fast, wiping the air in all directions.

"Wait, the wolf you took in is this hellhound?" Xie Lian asked as he held out his hand to the little puppy Zuko had turned into. He sniffed his brother's hand. Zuko began licking and nuzzling against his palm. We finally headed inside the gambler's den. I hadn't noticed 'until after we began walking again that everyone was watching us, specifically me. The inside is as luxurious as the outside. minus the blood trail.

"I'm going to bet my hand!" A man shouted from below. We found our way to a stair case that over looked a big area and had bright red curtains hanging around a silver chandelier. hundreds of ghosts, demons, and humans watching a man at a long table before a line of women standing before a larger, crimson sheer curtain. It was enough to just barley see a figure on a large seat of some kind with a human figure lazily sitting there, fettling with something. I glanced around at the group of women standing before the curtain. My eyes stopped on a woman, about four or five centimeters shorter than Honger, if I had to guess. She had dark, tanned skin and long hair that faded from dim plum to a darkened pale blue. Her eyes looked dark crimson, with blood red liner over her eyes. She had a single thick strand of hair in her face, while the rest was swept back to behind her head, showing her ears, and was flat around her horns that curled around to a point. Her horns faded from dim purple to a bright pinkish magenta.

She wore a set of robes in a design that I had never seen before. pink, blue, red, and white, all with the basic outer robes that were designed to end about a third below her knees. Her sleeves were loose and ended just before her wrists. skin-tight sleeves poked out from beneath, reaching below her hand. A white strip of fabric went over her chest. Over her left shoulder next to her neck was a dark heart-shaped tattoo. Her belt was dim purple. Her boots were similar to mine. The soles of them were a similar color compared to her hair. Her face looks exactly the same as it did thirty years ago. That woman was Song Yoong, my Song Yoong! my A-Yoong!

"no need." Honger's voice cut the air as I was shaken back to reality. I looked to Honger before I looked back to A-Yoong when she locked eyes with me. She made an off-putting expression before her eyes widened. "Your hand aside here, even your entree life... is absolutely worthless."

I could feel my brother shift in place, trying to get a better look. Mai Xio left us to wander around, as did the woman from before. There was no one inside, but the woman, who I believe is A-Yoong, was looking our way, even with a hellhound in my arms.

"But," the man in a demon mask began to argue with his hands slammed against the table. "How come that person just now could bet both of his legs?"

I saw A-Yoong snap her eyes away from mine and make an annoyed noise.

"Tch, the man before you was an infamous thief." She scolded and folded her arms. "His legs are light and valuable. while you are neither an artist nor a doctor. so your hands are worth dirt."

"Then, I'll..." the man hesitated before attempting to swallow a knot in his throat. "I'll..! then I'll bet ten years of my daughter's life!"

I glared down at the man when I heard that. Kohana was close behind us, held onto Kiyoshi, and growled. The entire crowd began to uproar after hearing this man say what he said. I knew this could be used as a bargaining chip, but it still hurts knowing what A-Yoong had to go through when she was growing up. I haven't told my brother about her, aside from her being someone I was very close to. He had no idea at the time that she was my lover or what she had gone through.

"Hmph," Honger smirked from behind the certain. I don't have to see it to know. "fine." As much as I trust Honger, I don't agree with how he makes his bets. New Xianle's bets were better than this and were less damaging for everyone involved. "start."

Honger tapped his finger, sending down the cup and dice from above. landing on the table.

"Evens are a loss; odds are a win." I looked away once a ghost maiden spoke. I saw Kohana holding onto Kiyoshi, who was leaning against her. "Once the cup is lifted, there's no arguing. begin!"

The man grabbed the cup with both hands. He shook with a crazed look in his eyes. The clang of the dice inside the cup echoed in my ears. I couldn't keep my gaze away. I watched with a heavy heart. With a slam against the table, the man stopped shaking the cup. My heart was beating in my ears, clouding out the rest of the noise. I looked away from the man and looked at A-Yoong. She had her eyes closed with knitted brows. She hates this, just like I do.  I could hear the faint echo of the man celebrating. My heart ached. The man celebrated before wanting to bet again! I held Zuko as close as I could.

"I want all my other rivals to die a sudden death!" I shut my eyes in an attempt to control my mana and keep it in check.