Chapter 22 - Disaster

3rd POV

The day of the Emperor's birthday has arrives. Claude looks like he hasn't had enough sleep, and it worries Felix with how there's a visible eyebag under his eyes. And it looks like the princess isn't here to celebrate the Emperor's birthday; consider what happened at her debutante. While the prince attend the Emperor's banquet despite his condition, Adelio insisted that he's fine and he wanted to attend it.

"-But is Princess Athanasia not attending the tonight's banquet? i was expecting to see her right beside you, like her debutante. Haha." Claude expression went cold at the question.

Adelio sighs as he's standing behind the Emperor's throne with Felix. Adelio, look at the door that just flew open, and Athanasia was bought here under the Emperor's order. The guard escorted her, and now they are standing before Claude.

Athanasia has a confused expression about why she was brought here. The guards that were standing beside her, said it in a low tone. "er, princess. Pardon me, but you should kneel..." Athanasia slowly drop on both her knees with her hands were on the carpet. With the sudden action, people around them whisper to each other.

Claude opens his mouth to speak. "Athanasia. I spared a wench who dared make a fool of me. How very unlike me. But when you toy with my mind even on a day like today, what should i do with you?" People who attended were stunned by the sudden statement of the Emperor.

"Your majesty! Your majesty, please calm yourself...!" Felix interfere.

"Felix Robane. Do you truly want to die of treason?" Claude glared at Felix, who dared to interrupt him.

"...!" Felix went silent.

"That insolent brat is stepping out of line because everyone is coddling her as a princess." Athanasia's face is dull as her eyes widen at what Claude is saying.

"Lord Padma." Claude called out the person who asked where the princess was a while ago.

"Yes, sire"

"What do you think that brat kneeling before me is?"

"Why, she is Princess Athanasia De Alger Obelia, sire" He said with a startled look.

"Wrong. That brat is not my daughter, nor a princess" The whisper begin to loud when Claude said that. "What kneels before me is nothing but a criminal." Athanasia has a shock face.

"I was meaning to kill her no matter what the next time i saw her, shame i'm not in the mood to see blood today. I've lost interest. Let's end this banquet now. Get that brat out of my sight at once" Claude orders.

"Your majesty!"

"H-his majesty's orders." The guards begin to take Athanasia's arms. "Let go!" Athanasia shouts as magic comes out of her body that makes the guards take a step back in shock.

"I did not give you a permission to lay your hands on me." Athanasia slowly gets up, the magic still lingers around her. "There's no need for that, I'll walk out of here on my own two feet." Claude's eyes widen.

"Though it may be a joyous occasion, you don't seem to want my congratulations, so I will take my leave as you wish, sire." Athanasia gives curtsy to Claude. Her face is emotionless as she looks at Claude. "Blessings and glory upon the sun of Obelia. I sincerely wish you a happy birthday, your majesty." With that, Athanasia turns around and leaves.

The crowd begins to whisper after the princess has left the banquet. Adelio steals a glance at Claude who is staying still, then at the crowd. "As his majesty said before, the banquet ends here." Adelio speaks loudly and with that the crowd begin to dismiss.