18: paper fan

Yibo sat outside the room nervously , anxiously waiting for the doctor to come out. And when he did , Yibo immediately got up intending to ask the doctor how is Zhan's body. But the doctor didn't even spare him a glance as he walked away followed by some other young interns.

Yibo looked at the back of the doctor with cold eyes. He followed behind and asked politely, "doctor...what happened ? Can you treat him ?"

"I'm sorry. His condition is critical. I can't save him. Please leave. I'm busy."

With that the doctor said to the interns , "Let's go."

Yibo stood still and didn't rush to pin that old doctor on the wall and force his words out. No, he must not make Zhan lose face. He pushed the anger in and got back his usual demeanour before entering the ward.

"Hey!"

When he entered , he saw zhan smiling at him, he tried to wave at him but he got a needle in there. So it was a bit painful. Yibo sighed and sat beside Zhan. He took zhan's palm in his and said, "Don't move, stay still. Does it hurt ?"

"Ah...nope , it's alright now. Can't you see how energetic I'm now? I can even lift an entire bus...well...that was a bit exaggerated. But you got what I mean right ?"

"Mn. Everything will be alright. "

After that day, Yibo still went to the hospital to find that doctor. In fact, he went there many times. But he wouldn't be able to see that doctor no matter what. He didn't know if the doctor was doing  it was purposely or he was just busy.

But one particular day,  he indeed saw the doctor coming. He seemed a bit annoyed. Yibo stood up and wanted to greet the doctor first when he heard the doctor say , "You came back again? How many times do I have to tell you I can't save him? With that health condition , he is destined to-"

Yibo thought he would be able to control himself. But who told the doctor to speak nonsense and even curse his lover ? He deserves it. So, Yibo pushed him and the doctor ended up hitting the wall nearby. The interns screamed one after another. Yibo punched the doctor on the face and leaned closer, saying word by word ,

"Why ? Why wouldn't you save him?" Yibo's words were chilling.

Sure enough,  the doctor was frightened. He finally opened his mouth. " If I could,  shouldn't have I saved my daughter first !? She had to die young and I watched uselessly."

"There is a well known doctor in shanghai,  Li Bowen. He couldn't help me , who knows,  maybe he can help you."

For a moment Yibo didn't know what he should say. He let go of the doctor and bowed down to say sorry before getting out of the hospital with a heavy heart.

He knew that there will be a way to...save him. He knew it.

The next few days beside running errands given by Wen Chao,  he spend most of his time inquiring about the doctor from Shanghai. He didn't forget to accompany the boy at home either. When he enters the house late at night,  all worked up , just watching Zhan waiting for him with a smile dispels all his tiredness.

That day Yibo accompanied Zhan to the beach. There were a lot of people in the beach because it was unfortunately a holiday. Zhan was also dumbfounded,  maybe he forgot to check the date before coming.

Seeing his speechless look, Yibo couldn't help but let out a few chuckles and rub his head vigorously. Then after a lot of searching they found a quiet place.

There they talked about a lot of things. They ate snacks and watched the sharp waves of the sea.

Zhan kept on blabbering things and sometimes cracked jokes. He found that Yibo was silent. He looked at his side only to meet a pair of deep eyes.

In the past Zhan found it hard to read the emotions in his eyes. But now , he could somehow feel the worries and concern in those pair of deep eyes. He found that Yibo likes to stare at him all the times.

Zhan understood.

At that moment,  he put down the diary on the mat spread on the sand and took Yibo's hand , grabbing it tightly.

Putting on a slight smile he said, "Why are you making that face ? You are looking like you're grieving for my death. Ain't I alive and kicking ? What's there to worry about ? People will die eventually. Some people goes early and some late. You have to be prepared for facing these situations."

He also added, " Come on. Even If I slip away someday , I'll still be with you. Don't worry ,you villain. I'll never let you live a peaceful life. I'll bother you like an annoying ghost and hunt you everywhere. With every breath you take , you'll feel me in the breeze!"

Before yibo could hit his head , he 'wow-ed' and said, "Hey..didn't know I can speak this well. Haha."

Yibo didn't know if he should laugh or be angry at his careless remark.

Forget it, kiss him and let him shut that mouth of his.

Then Xiao Zhan sat there with accusing eyes as his cheeks were red because of the kiss.

Yibo smiled slightly, "You think too much." You won't die , as long as I'm alive,  nothing can happen to you.

Then he took Zhan in his arms and closed his eyes,  feeling the peaceful wind. He wished only if the time could stop right here...

******

Yibo opened his eyes and saw the candles lightened up in a line in the church. He found himself wearing black funeral clothes. He was sitting on the chair , facing the statue of God.

His hand held the dairy left by Xiao Zhan.

He realised , he came back to present.

Then he heard the sound of footsteps. A small kid came to the church holding a red paper fan.

A paper fan...?

He heard the kid say, " Everything is going well in the family. Mum and dad aren't bickering. Wish you can keep everyone happy like this. If you keep everyone happy, I'll visit you nine more times. Thank you."

Then Yibo found him struggling to place something on the offering table.

He stood up and walked behind the boy and Squinted at his small figure.

"Need help?" He voiced out.

Maybe his sudden appearance scared the kid as he flinched. Then he considered for a moment before replying,  "Yes."

Yibo took the toy cars and placed them on the table. He glanced at the paper fan that was spinning because of the wind. In the middle , there was a yellow smiley sticker.

Yibo's face fell. His hand started to shake.  He calmed his mood, without responding to the kid's thanks , he asked directly,

"Where did you get this fan? Did a brother give this to you?"