14. Tour (1)

The Tour Bus was bigger this year. The bunks were larger, and Mitch and Avi simply decided to share the same one, using the other one to store their belongingsy Scott made fun of them friendly, of course, alluding to the singing of night birds and begging for calm nights. Avi smiled and simply replied "We know how to behave, Scottie, don't worry. We just need each other's arms." Scott didn't know what to replie, Kevin patted his shoulder, Kirstie smirked at him, and they moved on.

First concert. They were slightly nervous. Happy, oh! so happy to go back on stage! But wondering how their fans, and new fans, would appreciate this new show. When hey got up on stage though, they forgot this feeling and simply enjoyed the pleasure of singing together for people who were loudly cheering them.

Came the "Chair Girl" moment. Avi chose the lucky one. The song went on. Kevin was there, right behind the chair, while Avi was asking for her name. Mitch hugged her when they all came around her, and didn't move away from his spot near the chair until Avi had stood up from her lap. Scott was charming all the time. She was nice, moved, rather shy, and pretty. And the show went on...

When they came back to the bus, later, Kevin, Scott and Kirstie spent a moment in the main lounge with Esther and a few members of the crew, but Avi and Mitch went directly to their bunk. Mitch seemed either very tired or sad, or both, and Avi wanted to be alone with him. They lay down and rested in each other's arms in a tight cuddle. Avi felt Mitch's body rather tense.

- Mitchie? Are you okay?

After a silence:

- She was pretty, wasn't she?

- Who?

Mitch's head was resting on Avi's chest.

- The chair girl.

- Oh! Yeah, pretty much.

- How was it?

- What do you mean?

- ...

- Mitch! Are you jealous? Is it this so hard for you? There was also a chair girl in San Antonio...

- She wasn't that pretty, whispered Mitch.

- Did you see me or her doing anything unusual, seriously?

Mitch didn't answer. Avi grabbed his chin in his hand and lifted it to make eye contact with him. There were unshed tears in Mitch's eyes.

- Mitchie! What's happening to you? Kevin was there all the time, near us, and you were there when I sat on her lap. You were all friendly and even charming with her, Scott first! I felt like surrounded by bodyguards, and she was just a young shy lady! What was so wrong for you?

- I'm sorry.

- Don't be! I just need to understand.

- I'm silly. I guess I wanted to be her, tried to joke Mitch with a poor smile.

Avi stared at him. He knew it wasn't just a joke, but he also knew that he wouldn't get more this time. He tightened his arms around Mitch's shivering frame and whispered:

- You are here in my arms and she isn't. And I don't want anyone else but you in my arms.

He pulled him in a soft lingering kiss, running his hand slowly in Mitch's hair, then all along his back. When he felt Mitch's body slowly relaxing, he kissed his forehead and rested his head on his chest, keeping a hand gently rubbing his tiny frame, slower and slower, until he felt that Mich was asleep. What was happening to him? He would have to stay attentive.

*****

The next show was also in Oakland, the day after. The chair girl was also young and pretty. And sweet. And nothing special happened of course. As soon as they went off stage, Avi wrapped his arms around Mitch, kissed him tenderly and whispered in his ear: