36. Bridge Over Troubled Waters

I was listening to this song while writing this...

I'm so happy I could find this Scott's version onYouTube!

******************************

It was the last friday of November. PTX had just released a new video, a cover of a Christmas song they were offering to their fans, with a warm thank you for all the love and tireless support they had brought them during fall.

Avi and Mitch where having a late breakfast. It was a day off, and they hadn't decided yet what they would do. Avi's phone rang. He glanced at it and smiled fondly.

- It's my mom, he said, picking up his phone. Hi mom! How are you?

-...

- Thank you! You know how much I love this song, I was happy that we chose it.

- ...

- This weekend? We have an interview tomorrow morning, we'll perform this new song. But after that, nothing special. Why?

- ...

- Oh my goodness... Are you... Is it... Mom!

Avi had stood up and was staring blankly through the window, showing his profile to Mitch. He seemed deeply moved and remained speechless for a while. Mitch could hear the tiny voice of Avi's mother in the phone, like the twittering of a bird. Suddenly, he saw a tear rolling down Avi's cheek and getting lost in his beard. Mitch couldn't decide if it was good or bad news.

With little no hesitation - after all, Avi hadn't left the kitchen for more privacy - Mitch stood up and walked to him. He wrapped his arms around his waist and rested his head on his shoulder. Avi wrapped an arm around Mitch's shoulders, tightening his grip. Then he answered to his mother, his voice hoarse with emotion.

- We'll be at home. Nothing is planed, but anyway, we'll be there.

- ...

- Yes, I know where to go, I'll take care of it. I'll text you where. Oh mom!

-...

- I love you too. See you!

He hung up, slid the phone in his pocket, wrapped is second arm around Mitch's shoulders and buried his face in his neck, breathing heavily, as if he was trying not to cry. He was holding Mitch so tight that it almost hurt. Mitch ran a hand in his hair, the other one brushing gently his back. He remained silent, knowing Avi would speak when he'll be able to.

Avi finally calmed his breath, pulled away a little, still holding Mitch as if he was afraid to fall down.

- They're coming to L.A. Both of them. They want to meet you. Dad wants to meet you.

- Oh my God Avi!

Avi slammed his lips on Mitch's and kissed him intensely.

When he pulled away, he whispered:

- I need to sit down.

Mitch led him in the living room, to the couch.

- Do you want another cup of tea?

Avi seemed to hesitate to let Mitch go, but he finally smiled slightly and nodded at him.

- Water is already warm, I'll be right back.

Avi's eyes followed him as he was heading to the kitchen. When Mitch came back, Avi was still staring at him. Mitch settled a cup of tea and another of coffee on the coffee table, kneeled on the couch next to Avi and wrapped his arms around his neck. His own heart was beating a little fast.

- Tell me.

Avi almost stammered:

- They'll come tomorrow evening. They've booked a hotel room. We'll meet on Sunday, at a restaurant at first. I must reserve a table. Esther will be there too.

- What made him change his mind? asked Mitch softy.

- A lot of thinking, long talks with mom, a few with Esther - I didn't know it, but she went to see them twice this fall! And at last, the Christmas song....

Mitch raised his eyebrows questioningly.

- Mom told me that... he had been deeply moved, him, the Jew, and he couldn't force me to choose any longer between him and you, as the Christmas Holidays are coming. And before that, Hanukkah, which is really meaningful for him. He wants to meet you before... Mitch! I'm such a mess! I'm even not able to be happy yet...

Mitch smiled at him tenderly and slid his hand in Avi's curls, pulling away a strand of hair which was falling across his face.

- We've got two days and two nights to get ready, sweetheart. I'll help you to get yourself presentable. It shouldn't be too difficult, you are usually good looking. Even if... well, yeah, I must admit you're rather a mess right now!

Avi burst out laughing, soon joined by Mitch. It was as if all the tension built up during the past two months was turning into joy.

- Oh Mitchie! What would I do without you?!

- There are so many possible answers to this question, I prefer not to think about it. Our drinks will soon be cold. Here's yours.

Avi chuckled and took his cup from Mitch's hands.

- You know, I'm a little nervous myself... I don't know how to behave.

- Just be yourself. The one I love. He needs to know you. He will love you. The only challenge for him is to admit I'm in love with a man. But if he gets to know you, he'll get used to the idea. Who wouldn't love my little angel?

Mitch blushed a little and leaned towards Avi to kiss him lightely. Avi cupped his face in his hands. His eyes were sparkling.

- Oh! Mitch! I was in shock, but I feel so excited now! I need to move! Shall we...

- Go to your cabin in the woods today?

Avi smiled happily.

- No, to our cabin! Yes I would love to! But is it okay for you?

- Yes Avi. I love this place too, smiled Mitch. We already have good memories here... Let's make some more, he added with a wink.

*****

And so did they. On their way to the cabin, they stopped at the restaurant that Avi had in mind, to book a table for lunch on Sunday. They bought a few supplies and arrived just in time to have lunch in their little shelter. They went for a walk in the woods around, ended on the lap of their old friend the twisted tree. They came back to the cabin where Avi lit a fire in the fireplace. They had dinner sitting on a thick carpet in front of the fire.

A little later, Avi added some wood in the fire, Mitch a few cushions on the carpet, and they made love, tenderly, passionately.

Mitch fell asleep in Avi's arms, and Avi carried him cautiously in their bed, where the young man curled up against him in his sleep. Avi didn't fall asleep immediately. His thoughts were wandering between the huge tenderness he felt for the adorable angel resting in his arms, and the gratitude for his parents, who were about to give him the most precious proof of love. He finally drifted off to sleep with the image of Mitch smiling in his dreams.

They were back in L.A. on Saturday morning for the TV show, and spent the afternoon cleaning their house, just in case...Would Avi's parents come here after lunch? Avi whished it, but didn't want to hope too much...

Anyway, tomorrow would be a great day.