29. Decisions

Avi woke up first. He gazed at Mitch still sleeping peacefully in his arms. He wavered between waking him or letting him sleep a little more. Finnally, he got up carefully and went into the main room. Kirstie was curled up in a couch, her little frame fitting in the small place it provided. The house was silent, Kevin and Scott seemed to be still in the second bedroom. Avi boiled some water, poured it in a cup, added a tea bag, grabbed a pack of cereal and got out.

About ten minutes later, Mitch joined him, a cup of instant coffee in his hand.

- Hello Mitchie. Already awake?

- It felt cold without you.

Avi smiled. Mitch sat down against him and turned his face towards him. Avi kissed him softly.

- You don't drink instant coffee.

- I didn't want to wake up Kirst. Never mind.

He reached into the pack of cereal that Avi was holding.

- I think I'm going for a walk again.

Mitch stiffened, then peered at him.

- It's up to you, little angel, but I would love you to come with me today. It's just... I'm not sure if I want to talk yet.

Mitch smiled, relieved.

- I don't need to talk if you don't want to.

They left their empty cups in the porch and stood up. Arm in arm, they went away. Avi led them along the path around the lake, walking slowly. He was taking deep breaths from time to time. Mitch was walking at the same pace as him, silently.

They reached the old tree. But instead of sitting on it, Avi sat down on the ground, leaned back on the trunk, and pulled Mitch on his lap, as they did on the beach during winter. Mitch curled up in his arms, intertwined their fingers on his lap, nested his head in Avi's shoulder and didn't move anymore.

Avi's breath was getting deep and calm. He raised his free hand to run his fingers in Mitch's hair, lightly, almost absently. Mitch closed his eyes. After maybe a quarter of an hour, Avi started to hum their song. Mitch didn't really move, he just snuggled even closer in Avi's arms. Avi hummed the whole song.

After a short silence:

- I love you Mitch. This won't change, never. I'm just discovering the hard way what you guys must endure day after day. I think I didn't imagine it clearly. I knew it, but now I know how it feels.

Mitch raised his head and gazed at Avi, who was still staring ahead of him.

- I would accept it, if it wasn't for the Band. We've worked so hard, we are releasing our new album and it's a very important one. It could be a pivotal time in our career. Maybe I've been selfish.

- Avi...

Avi peered down at him.

- You were not selfish. Or I was too. I wished to make it public, as much as you did. I was just waiting for you to be ready. Scott and I have never been ashamed of who we are, and it didn't harm PTX reputation. There have been bad words at the beginning on YouTube, remember? But they disappeared. People are just more surprised because it's you, but I'm sure we can overcome it.

- You seem so confident!

- As long as you're by my side, Avriel. Yes I am.

Avi was silent once again, but he didn't take his eyes off him.

- Yes, we're gonna fight, little angel. In our own way. And not only for us. I've never found it fair, that the LGBTcommunity has to confess who they are, as if it was a sin. But now that I'm concerned, I can speak. I know what I'm talking about. We need to find a TV show that will accept to receive us. I have an idea of what I would like to say. To tell my thoughts while make it clear that it doesn't change anything for PTX.