Chapter 5

HAVEN MCQUEEN

My eyes are still groggy and full of sleep as I force them open to the sound of my phone vibrating profusely, but it's not the sound of an alarm, a phone call, or a text. It's the staccato buzz of a notification, and I apparently have a billion of them.

"Christ," I croak out as the device keeps vibrating in my hand and one notification bubble is replaced by another before I can even read the first one. I'm barely able to unlock the screen and get to the app to see that I have over 2,000 new notifications.

Seeing as I only get maybe ten new followers on a normal day lately, it takes me a second to figure out what the fuck is going on until I remember Harry was asking me if it's okay for him to follow me on Instagram. I guess I didn't think he was actually going to do it or else I would have turned off my notifications like I'm doing now.

On my latest post from the personal account that I have linked to my business profile, his fans seem to be arguing about who I am and why he and Jeff followed me this morning. Most of them are correct in assuming that we're working together given my history in celebrity styling, but some are commenting on my face and saying that I'm pretty enough to date him so maybe that's what's going on. I find myself equally offended and flattered by that as I follow Harry back. For some reason, I'm glad I wasn't already one of the millions of followers he has.

Once my notifications are switched off, I exit the app and open the text from my dad asking if I'd like to come over for Sunday brunch at his house. He didn't even know what brunch was until he met his girlfriend, so I'm sure it was her idea.

After debating it for a few minutes, I give him my confirmation and force myself out of bed to take a quick body shower. I've been meaning to tell my dad about my new job, but I already know he's going to be pissed that I didn't send him the contract before I signed it. I did skim it, but regardless of what it said, I needed the job.

Dressed in a soft black linen T-shirt and denim shorts, I brush my teeth, apply sunscreen to my face, and chug a bit of water before heading out. As I have to lean back and pull my door closed to lock it, I wonder if maybe now I can afford to get a new place with my new salary. Well, I can definitely afford it, but the question is whether or not it's even worth it. Harry's tour is going from September to June of next year, so why the hell would I bother getting a new apartment if it's going to be empty for nine months? Maybe it's something to think about when I get back.

My dad's Calabasas neighborhood is quiet and peaceful as I leisurely drive through the winding smooth streets, only passing other cars going about ten below the speed limit and a few bicyclists on the clean and crack-free sidewalks. All the lawns are bright green and lush while the rest of Los Angeles is brown from the ongoing drought, but something tells me the people living in these 20 million dollar homes aren't kept up at night with thoughts of the environment.

I park in the wide circle drive behind my dad's Benz and squint in the harsh sun as I hop out to let myself inside with my key. I hear Candice laughing, which makes me smile in amusement to myself as I close the door and hear my Husky's paws scatter on the hardwood floor on his way to me.

"Hi, boy," I bend over to scratch him all over his head and back as he wiggles his body and whimpers in excitement.

"Haven?" My dad calls out.

"Yeah, I'm here," I kiss Blue on the head and we both make our way through the grand entry to get to the open kitchen space.

"Hi, Haven!" Candice scurries around the island to reach out and hug me with skinny little arms in her white mini sundress.