Chapter 53

HAVEN MCQUEEN

I've only been to the Beachwood Cafe once since Harry and I broke up and it was to get something to go, and now that I'm sitting in here, I know why I haven't wanted to come back. Another couple is sitting in the booth we always used to grab when we'd come in for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and they're sitting next to each other just like Harry and I ended up doing the last few times we came. I've never preferred to sit on the same side of the table as my partner when out to eat, but Harry changed that. I would have stitched myself to him if I could.

As the bell above the front doors chimes, I look over to see Glenne walking in with a black New York Yankees hat on and her preferred outfit comprised of athleisure. Ironically enough, she took me shopping recently so she could help me pick the best quality and most comfortable workout and loungewear when that's all I feel comfortable wearing these days. At six months, my belly is only popping out further and further as the two babies grow.

"Hi," she gives me her perfect and sweet smile as she leans over to hug me on my side of the booth so I don't have to stand up. "How are you? You look so cute!"

I wrinkle my nose, knowing she's just being nice. I've been doing my makeup every day just to feel a little prettier, but wearing yoga leggings and T-shirts made of stretch cotton every day makes me feel slobby.

"Thanks, so do you," I sip from my water, noticing Katie walking through the door next.

In the June heat, she's wearing a cute mini sundress that hugs her perfect skinny frame, and her curls are tied up in a bun on her head to show off her perfect face. I know it's not her fault and I'm just being irrational, but I wish she could have looked at least a little more like a bum for our lunch date.

"How are you guys?" She beams as she sits on the other side of the booth with Glenne.

"I'm good," I nod, looking down at my belly. "We're good, I guess I should say."

That makes both of them smile as Glenne says, "I can't believe it's already been six months. Does it feel like time is flying or has it been slow?"

"I feel like it's both, honestly," I rest my hands on top of the bump. "Part of me feels like it's going so fast and another part feels like I can't be pregnant for one more day."

"What's been the hardest part about it at this point?" Katie asks.

I exhale and shake my head at the numerous answers I can give them, but I'm really trying not to complain too much. My mom told me that I'm going to miss being pregnant once I give birth, so I don't want to take any of it for granted.

"I think it's just feeling huge all the time and it's harder to do everything, but I know I only have three more months to go, or maybe not even that long. The doctor said I most likely won't last the entire term before going into labor."

"God, I still just can't believe it," Katie squeaks in excitement. "Twins."

I laugh at the way she whispers the word even though the cafe is pretty much empty on this Tuesday afternoon. We could have just gone to my house, but I've been cooped up for days and I needed to get out and see the sun as well as other human beings.

"It's completely insane," I smile because I can't help it.

Glenne asks, "Do you guys still not know the genders?"

"No, and I think we still want to be surprised, but I'm convinced it's one of each."

Both of them gasp in excitement and ask me why I think that, so I explain the same dream I told Harry about when we were in France for the Gucci Cruise show last month. I've never had such a vivid dream before, nor have I been able to remember a dream in such vivid detail before either. That's why I'm convinced, but I also won't be angry if it turns out to be two boys or two girls instead.