Chapter 34

HAVEN MCQUEEN

I found it. After a thorough but anxious two days, I already found my dream house. Perhaps I should be more hesitant or at least not get my hopes up so high, but once I have my mind set on something, it's nearly impossible for me to forget about it. And as soon as I saw the photos of this house up for rent, I had no doubt that it's supposed to have my name on the lease.

My very practical father, on the other hand, is highly skeptical. Although it's remarkably safer than my Studio City apartment, he's not convinced I need a two-bedroom house when it's just me. He's afraid I'm going to be wasting my money, which is a fair assessment and something I should also be wary of, but I need it.

"This is it, huh?" He slows his car to park on the curb in front of the pale yellow home. It's sort of pushed back from the road and hidden in the trees, which is perfect for my relationship. I can't afford a privately gated home, but the natural blockage is appreciated.

"Isn't it beautiful?" I give him a puppy pout as he rolls his eyes and steps out of the car with me and my Mom.

"I like the cottage aspect," Margaret pushes her sunglasses up in her hair. "It's very cute."

"Very cute," I agree as we link arms and walk around to meet the realtor in the driveway. She's wearing a navy pinstripe trouser and blazer combination and her long blonde hair is pulled back in a sleek ponytail. She's young, but she doesn't give off an inexperienced type of energy.

"Haven?" She questions with a blinding smile.

"Yeah, hi," I let go of my mom to shake her hand.

"Alexandra," she introduces herself. "It's nice to meet you."

"You too, and these are my parents," I gesture to them before they all shake hands with her as well, and she uses a key to let us into the house.

"Remind me, are you looking to buy or rent?"

"Just rent for now," I clarify as we step inside.

There are two things I immediately notice. One, it smells like fresh paint, and Alexandra explains that the previous owners just had the walls touched up. The second thing is that there's so much more natural light than what I would expect, considering the front is shaded by the trees. I guess most of the sunshine is coming from the back of the house, which is mostly made of glass and open to the sunny backyard.

"So this home is a pretty decent mix of a ranch style as well as mid-century modern," Alexandra starts. "There are two bedrooms, plus a den that could potentially be converted into a third bedroom. As you can see, the windows are large to let in plenty of light, you have the beams in the ceiling and original hardwood floors, a refurbished wood or gas fireplace here in the living room as well as one in the den. All of the appliances have been upgraded in the kitchen as well as the bathrooms, and all of those have been recently renovated as well as the landscaping in the front and backyards."

"Mhm," I hold my hands behind my back as we follow her into what will be the living room area, but there's no furniture to convey that's what it is.

"How many people have lived here?" My dad asks.

With a smile, Alexandra says, "There have only been two separate owners in the 83 years it's been here. The current owners are only relocating for an occupation and they're torn up about leaving."

That, I believe.

"It's beautiful," I shake my head at the marble kitchen counters, the white subway tile backsplash, the full stove, and the multiple burners on the stovetop. Even the deep farmhouse sink is stunning.