Chapter 87

HAVEN MCQUEEN

Now that Jack and Lily are three, I think they're starting to understand just a little bit more that their dad is special in a way that not many other dads are. For instance, I think the world of my dad and he will always be the number one man in my life, but he doesn't stand on a stage in front of 20,000 people every night, all of them sobbing over their tumultuous love for him.

Even though it's only been seventeen days since their birthday, they've already asked Harry and me why people yell his name when we go outside, and why people take pictures of us. We did our best to explain what the word 'famous' means, but I don't think they're grasping it yet. To them, Harry's the guy who's been changing their shitty diapers all their lives, not a beloved pop star.

So, with two hours until the doors open for the last show of his Madison Square Garden residency, I decide to take the kids on a little tour with me to see what the venue has done to honor his fifteen consecutive shows. I'm curious to see it all for myself, to be honest. It's a big fucking deal.

On one of the walls at the entrance, there are photos of each show sandwiched between the words, CONGRATULATIONS HARRY & TEAM on the top, and 15 CONSECUTIVE NIGHTS AT THE GARDEN on the bottom. Lily and Jack take turns being held by me so they can see the pictures up close, and I remind them that all the seats are going to be filled with people who all love to hear him sing just like they do.

"Hey, there you guys are," Jeff sounds out of breath as he comes up behind us, but he's smiling. "Guess what?"

"What?" I laugh. "Why are you out of breath?"

"This place is ginormous and you weren't answering your phone," he coughs into his fist. "So, the venue's gonna surprise Harry tonight by honoring him with a banner toward the end of the show."

I gasp with a smile of my own now, letting Lily slide down to the floor. "Oh my God, that's so exciting! He has no idea?"

"Nope," he smiles proudly. "We're betting on if he's going to cry because no artist has ever done this before."

"Oh, he's absolutely going to cry," I scoff. "That's incredible, wow."

"Yeah, I just thought you'd want to know, but we're keeping it a secret," he narrows his eyes at Lily as she looks up at him with innocent green eyes. Well, they appear innocent, anyway. "You know...you look just like my niece 'Lily Styles'. Do you know her?"

Smiling wide, Lily shakes her head.

"Are you sure? Because you look just like her," he taps his chin. "Are you ticklish like she is?"

Lily screams bloody murder and starts running in the other direction, so Jack starts screaming and running only because she is. Jeff is laughing so hard that he can't even catch up to them for at least a minute, but then I'm the one screaming when I feel fingers digging into my waist.

I turn to see Harry with a smug smirk on his face, but I'm still so excited about the surprise that I don't even scold him for giving me a heart attack. Instead, I rise to my toes and wrap my arms around his neck, kissing him three times despite the smile we're both wearing.

"What's that for?" He smirks. "I was gearing up for a smack."

"Mm-mm," I shake my head and step closer to him, pushing my fingers through his pre-styled hair. "You know what?"

"What?" He widens his stance just a bit until we're the same height, keeping his arms around my waist.

"I'm really happy that you convinced me to stay past the wedding, and coming to see you every single night has been a dream come true."