Chapter 49

HAVEN MCQUEEN

I'm just shy of three months pregnant now, and it shows. I've researched what an average baby bump looks like at this point in a regular pregnancy and it seems like women who are carrying a single child obviously don't show as much as one who's carrying twins. I haven't "popped" yet, but without a top on, there's no question as to whether or not I'm pregnant, and that's why I'm nervous to be going out to dinner with Katie tonight.

Despite my desire to keep my life as normal as possible throughout this pregnancy, I haven't been going out much and the paparazzi have left me alone now that the world has done their speculating to figure out that Harry and I are no longer a couple. With my and Harry's blessing, Jeff released a sort of statement admitting that Harry's been focusing on his career and he's really excited about making new music. So, without saying it at all, he confirmed the breakup when asked about it.

Harry thought it would help keep the media away from me, and that's how it is now, but the first week after the "breakup article" went public was brutal. They found out where I live after following me from Harry's house when I went to pick up my bag I left there when we first broke up and that event only fueled the paparazzi flames. They were sitting outside my house for days, during which I felt like a hostage in my own home, but they've moved on to capture the next celebrity drama now so I feel like I can breathe a bit easier. It's also why I feel okay accompanying Katie and her new "friend" to dinner.

As Katie does, she found the one again. I'm not sure what number this is, but the only reason I'm feeling optimistic about it is because she's never asked me to go out to eat with any of her past exes, and that's because she knew I wouldn't like them. She didn't want to have to listen to my speech about how she could do better.

Thankfully, Los Angeles is still pretty cool during March, so I'm able to layer in an attempt to hide my bump the best I can. Even though I was very adamant about not wanting to conceal my pregnancy from the public, the closer I get to not being able to hide it anymore, the more terrified I am. I just don't think I'm quite ready for the potential attention it's going to bring to me if the wrong person sees me at just the right angle.

So, in a pair of loose-fitting jeans with a boxy black tee under a sherpa-detailed leather jacket, I leave my hair down and step into my Gucci sneakers to leave the house. I don't look for the paparazzi until I'm already safe inside my car, but all I see is my next-door neighbor holding hands with her daughter as they cross my driveway on the sidewalk. So far, so good.

With the engine warming up, I type in the name of the so-called "trendy American" restaurant that Katie wanted me to meet her and Chase. It's on Melrose Avenue, which could potentially be dangerous since it's a popular part of LA, but what's the worst that could happen? One of Harry's fans sees me having dinner with my friend and her soon-to-be boyfriend?

It's not until I'm almost there that I wonder why Katie wouldn't have wanted to drive to the restaurant together and meet Chase there instead of doing it the opposite way. Usually, I would imagine she'd want to talk him up and give me any warnings before I meet him myself, but now that I'm walking inside, I understand. He brought a friend.

I stop by the hostess stand, glaring at her from across the dimly-lit restaurant. Her smile reads guilty as she presses her bright red lips together and lifts her hand for a timid wave. I have half the nerve to turn around and drive my pregnant ass back home, but now both men are staring me down as well. Great.

"Did you have a reservation?" The girl at the stand asks me with an annoying smile.

"No, my friend is right there," I point to Katie and take a step closer. "Thank you."