Chapter 25

HAVEN MCQUEEN

My Christmas holiday was just about everything I could have asked for, and that doesn't even include a single gift that was given to me. My dad was as generous as always with the designer presents and my mom was as thoughtful with the crafty ones, but it was their secret get-together that made my whole holiday.

They never once even hinted at the idea that they were intimate the night before when I saw them the next morning, but all that awkwardness from the first day had dissipated by the time my dad and I were getting ready to head back to Los Angeles. The only reason I suppressed my desire to talk to my mom about it was so I wouldn't embarrass her, though I'm curious as to what the deal is with them now.

Did they just bang one out of their system? Are they talking about getting back together? I have no idea and I'm sure that's not an accident on their end. They probably don't know for themselves either.

"Haven?" My dad calls out to me from down the stairs. "I'm about to head to the airport!"

"K!" I blow on the wet black polish on my thumbnail and leave my childhood bedroom to meet him down by the door. "You're sure you don't mind that I stay here while you're gone?"

"Of course not," he kisses my forehead. "Sorry I can't be here to celebrate the holiday with you, but feel free to have Katie over. Just no wild parties. And try not to break anything."

"Okay," I laugh, pulling back from his tight embrace. "It's lame that you have to travel on New Year's Eve for work. That should be illegal."

"Mm," he smiles tightly in agreement. "Happy New Year, princess."

"Happy New Year," I needlessly hold the door open for him while he heads out with his small suitcase dragging behind him to get to the Uber on the street.

There was a time when having my dad's mansion to myself on New Year's Eve would excite me, but I don't even know enough people to fill it anymore like I would have been able to in college or even high school. So now, I just offer a tight smile to Blue and ask him what we're supposed to do all day. I guess I should probably finish painting my nails for starters.

I actually did consider asking Harry if I could fly to London to ring in the New Year with him and his family, but his lack of invitation stopped me. If he wanted me there, I think he would have already asked me in advance. That's not to say he specifically doesn't want me there, but maybe he just felt bad to invite me all the way there for a short trip when he's planning to come home in just a few days now.

Either way, I've never been in a relationship that I'm so happy with over New Year's before, so maybe part of me was just really looking forward to having that movie scene midnight kiss with the guy I'm in love with. Will I survive without it? Sure. There's always next year to look forward to.

I'm almost finished painting the nails on my right hand when Katie starts calling me. Careful not to disturb the polish, I swipe across the screen to answer and stay put at the vanity I used to do my makeup for school.

"What's up?"

"Hey, you're still at your dad's right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I was just wondering because I was thinking about going to your place to potentially borrow something to wear tonight, but then I couldn't remember if you were there or not."

"No, but I thought we were just hanging out tonight. Are we going out?"

"Oh, um...no, you're right. We're staying in."

I cautiously screw the cap back on my nail polish bottle, narrowing my eyes skeptically at the phone. "You're being weird."

"No, I'm not," she sounds confused by my accusation. "I just forgot what our plan was."