Chapter 78

HAVEN MCQUEEN
December 2021

My eyes are still closed with the duvet pulled almost over my head, but I'm mostly conscious as I hear three soft voices singing Happy Birthday to me. I smile instantly before forcing my eyelids open to see Harry walking in with both kids, holding a plate of what looks like a stack of pancakes with a single candle stuck in the middle.

"Happy birthday to Mummy, happy birthday to you," Lily and Jack scramble to climb on the bed with me as I sit up against the headboard.

"Wait, let her make a wish," Harry holds the plate away before they can blow the candle out for me, and I crack up laughing hoarsely as the twins look up at me, waiting for me to do that.

So I close my eyes again, keeping my little smile, and wish that we'll have a happy and safe Christmas and New Year holiday with our families in the upcoming weeks. "Okay, can you help me?"

With puffed-out cheeks, they both lean in to blow out the candle and smile as I clap and quietly cheer for them. Then they both turn to face me, rising on their knees to wrap their arms around my neck. I close my tired eyes again, holding them both and wondering how I got so lucky to have such compassionate and cuddly babies. All I ever want to do is hold them like this and it seems like all they want to do is be held like this.

"Thank you, babies," I kiss their heads before they let go of me so Harry can hand me the plate of pancakes dripping in syrup.

"We has some, Mummy?" Lily tilts her head at me with the sweetest questioning look.

"You want some?" I scrunch my nose to laugh as she and Jack nod their little heads. "Is that what you hugged me for?"

They nod again, giggling as I drop my jaw like I'm personally offended, but we all know that's not why they did it. They hug me like that every morning, whether I have a sweet treat to offer them or not.

"Fine, you little leeches," I take the fork and carefully feed them both a small bite, hearing them hum in contentment.

"Happy birthday," Harry leans in to kiss my syrupy lips before he hums in contentment and gives me two more after he tastes the sticky sweetness on them.

"Thank you," I have another decent bite before I set the plate on the nightstand to bury myself with the kids under the duvet.

I can hear that it's pouring outside and I'm sure it's as freezing as it was yesterday. I'm happy to be in London and it's what I wanted, but I miss my California sunshine.

"Let's stay in bed all day," I gasp the make the kids excited, but then Harry pulls the duvet down to reveal our faces.

"No such luck, birthday girl," he kneels on the bed to lie down on top of us. Well, mostly on top of me. "I have plans for you today. Three sets of plans."

As much as I do really want to stay in the warmth and safety of our bed, I'll admit that I'm intrigued. "What plans?"

"You'll just have to get dressed to find out," he clicks his tongue and moves further up my body to kiss me, then kisses the twins before he gets up. "C'mon, let's finish your breakfast downstairs and give Mummy some time to wake up, yeah?"

The kids comply but insist on being carried, so he holds Lily in his arms while Jack climbs on his back for the walk down the stairs. In the meantime, I slowly eat my pancakes and consider what I'm going to wear as I listen to the rain pound on the roof and the slightly muffled sound of Harry and the kids talking to each other downstairs.

We've been in London for about a month now and I can't explain how relieving it is to know that we live on a private street without public access, behind a brick wall that requires a code to come inside. Upon arrival, Harry had panic alarms installed just to make me feel even safer and it worked.