4. New Beginnings

July 29th, 1983

-

It was around 1-2 AM when I finally got home. I unlocked the from door and stepped into Cliff and I's apartment which was entirely engulfed in darkness. After a few moments of silence I heard a phone ringing upstairs.

"For God's sake Hailey, please get your little lover boy to stop calling. It's 2 in the morning." Cliff groaned from on the couch.

I wasn't sure why he was on the couch but that was the least of my worries right now, I sprinted upstairs while the phone was still ringing in hopes that I'd make it in time.

If I'm being honest, part of me deep down hoped it was Dave. However the rest of me wanted it to be Kirk.

I made it to my room, out of breath, and picked up the phone.

"Hello?" I said as I quietly tried to catch my breath.

I heard a heavy sigh from the other end of the line, "You left your jacket here Hailey."

Dave.

I didn't actually expect it to be him. I don't know who I thought it was, but certainly not him.

Was he really calling over and over just because of a jacket? Who knows.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry. Could you maybe just leave it outside or something and I can come get it in the morning?" I said half asleep.

"Hailey, I'll just bring it over." He said frustratedly.

Before I could argue, I heard the phone slam down from the other end.

I shrugged it off and figured he'd just leave it on my doorstep or something, and with that I fell asleep.

-

In the morning I woke up to my phone ringing. I groaned and rubbed my eyes. Turning my attention to the alarm clock sitting on my bedside table. Who the fuck is calling me at 8 in the fucking morning.

I picked up the beige phone and sleepily held it to my ear.

"Hello?" I mumbled groggily.

"Hey Hailey!" Kirks cheerful voice sweetly rang through the phone.

"Hi Kirk." I smiled to myself.

"Was everything okay last night? I called you a few times and you didn't answer, I mean I know that sounds kinda weird, I didn't mean it in a weird way I was just worried and-"

So it was him calling over and over last night, not Dave.

"Kirk everything's fine, I was just at my friends house pretty late last night so I wasn't home when you called." I giggled as I cut off his overthought rambling.

"Right, Sorry." He said as I heard him taking a deep breath.

"It's really sweet of you to try an' check on me tho. I appreciate it." I said reassuringly.

He let out a breathy laugh before he spoke again, "Do you uh, wanna go to the record store with me later?" He questioned. "I just wanted to hangout with you since we didn't really get a chance to talk yesterday." He added after a moment.

"I'd love to go Kirk. What time were you thinking?" I said cheerfully.

"Does noon work? I can come pick you up too, Cliff said your car was in the shop." He said enthusiastically.

"Sounds perfect to me." I smiled as I twirled the pale beige phone chord around my finger.

"Okay I'll see you then." I could practically hear him smiling through the phone.