5. Taking My Time

September 30th, 1983

-

Kirk's Point of View

Hailey and I have been hanging out with each other for about two months now, and it's honestly been the best two months of my fucking life.

We're together almost every single day, and the ones we aren't, we talk on the phone for hours.

I don't know what it is about her, maybe it's her long brown hair, maybe her pretty hazel eyes, or maybe it's her personality. Something about her is just so addicting and I feel as though I can never get enough time around her.

Ever since that day in the record store, where I first bumped into her, there hasn't been a single second where she's left my mind. When I found out that she was Cliffs sister that James had been wanting me to meet I honestly almost lost my shit.

It's amazing to me how I've grown so fond of someone in such little time, but it's also scary.

I've never in my life felt the same way about another girl as I do Hailey. It's such an intense feeling that came alone so fast that I don't know what to do.

I wonder if she even remotely feels the same way about me, or if she really only sees me as a friend. Honestly I'm fine with either way as long as she'll stay in my life somehow.

The guys and I released our first album Kill 'Em All last month. We've started gaining a little more attention than we're used to from it, but we're glad it's doing well. We started working on our next album and we hope to release it by February.

Only thing is though, after we release the next album they're sending us on tour almost immediately. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked to be going on tour with the guys. Shit, this is something I've been dreaming about since I was 17. Part of me just doesn't wanna leave hailey behind, I don't know if I could go 3-4 months without seeing her, or barely even speaking to her. That probably sounds pathetic but I honestly can't help it.

I was in James's basement, tuning my guitar, since we were getting ready for practice. I looked up as I saw Cliff come down the stairs along with James. I sat up a bit trying to look behind them for the one person I had been looking forward to seeing all day.

I averted my gaze towards Cliff looking at him with a confused expression, indirectly asking 'Where is she?'.

Before he could answer, I heard footsteps quickly coming down the stairs. Before I could process who what it was, she jumped on me wrapping her arms around me.

"Hey Kirky." She said jokingly.

I smiled and shook my head, hugging her back.

Sometimes I just couldn't find the right words to say to her. I might think into too much, I don't really know.

She went and sat down on the beat-up, red leather couch in the corner. She had an oversized Kill 'Em All shirt on, which made me crack a smile.

We began practicing, and going through riffs, and other bits we wanted to use in our new album. We came up with a few main riffs to two songs and practiced playing them together, figuring out what works, and what doesn't.

I felt her eyes on me almost the entire time, which caused my face to heat up a bit.

I swear to god this girl was gonna be the death of me.

-

We spent about an hour or two more practicing, before we called it quits for the night. The rest of the guys went out to a strip club or something, they invited me, but Hailey and I were going to a drive-in movie so I declined.

Plus I'd rather hangout with her, than sitting and watching the guys get grounded on by strippers. I know if I went I'd probably just drink on my own the whole time anyways.

We got into my car and she put a Black Sabbath tape in, looking out the window, lip syncing as I drove. I would turn my head to look at her every few moments. She was my exact definition of perfection.

We finally go to where the movie was, tonight they were showing Nightmare On Elm Street, which is one of Hailey and I's favorite movies.

We crawled onto the hood of my car and threw a blanket over us, As the movie started.

Throughout the movie I'd occasionally catch myself looking down at her, she had her head rested on my shoulder intensely focused on the screen. I smiled and turned my attention back to the movie.

"Kirk?" I heard her say a few minutes later.

"Hm?" I hummed looking down at her.

"Why do you hangout with me instead of going with the guys? I mean wouldn't you rather hangout with your band mates?" She questioned.

My eyes quickly widened a bit.

Shit.

That was a question I wasn't expecting her to ask.

"I'd just rather be with around you." I said smiling at her.

She smiled as her face started to get red, and she turned her attention back to the movie.

-

Once the movie finished, she had fallen asleep. I drove her home, and saw that Cliff still wasn't back.

I didn't really wanna leave her there alone, so I set her on her bed and found a chair in her room that I could try to fall asleep on.

I liked her there was no denying that, but I didn't wanna rush things. No matter how difficult it may be for me I'm waiting until the timings right because I refuse to fuck things up with her.

My thoughts ran for a few more minutes before I glanced over at Hailey one more time, then drifted off to sleep.