CHAPTER 9: May 13th, 2 Hours Until The Race

DATE: MAY 13TH, 1987.
LOCATION: BURLINGTON, VERMONT U.S.A.

2 HOURS UNTIL THE LATE SPRING RACE.

The next day comes quickly.

The Sun is high up in the sky, and all the competitors of the race are out and about, warming up and stretching out their muscles.

It was finally time for the race to begin, in only 2 hours.

"Did'ya hear?"

A woman says, leaning on a bench.

"Hear what, Mary?"

Her friend asks, tilting her head a bit.

"This big race... It's got over 6,400!"

"Over 6,400 what? Speak up!"

The first woman jumps up and down.

"Over 6,400 racers! From all over this crazy world, June!"

"That's.. Insane, Mary!"

"6,400 people?!"

Jodi asks, a little bit shocked by the number mentioned by the ladies.

"Dang.."

He adds, shaking his head, still amused by the fact that there were *so* many competitors.

"Well... We better get going so that we're not late!"

Jonah says, looking around frantically, trying to figure out which way his tent was.

The boy still couldn't believe this was happening, and he was almost scared that he'd screwed up big time.

At least he still had Jodi and Anotella with him, right?

As the ladies kept talking, Buccellati was deciding what would be best for his small amount of luggage.

"I could use leaves to brush my teeth, I don't need this heavy-ass toothbrush... I also don't need his binoculars, my visions already good enough to spot stuff..."

He says, chuckling as he packs a very limited selection of items. Such as toothpaste, a dagger, some pencils, etc. The rest he stored in his stand's cans.

Anotella takes a look at the rest of the racers, amazed at all of them.

"...6,400?"

She whispers, seemingly speechless at the scale of this race.

It was definitely bigger than any of them had anticipated.

"We better get going..." Jodi says, starting towards the gate.

The boy's voice was slightly overwhelmed, his excitement getting the best of him, as he started to speed walk towards the gate, expecting Anotella, Jonah and Enrico to come with him.

"Hey, wait... Wait. Look over there!"

Jonah exclaims, pointing to a small horse field for those who rode horses. There was a familiar-looking and sounding face screaming in pain, as people watched.. The man with red-orange hair and baby blue eyes trips off his horse while trying to get on it, falling for what seemed to be the 15th time, since he looked so beat up from the beatings this horse presumably gave him...

"BLOODY HELL!"

He yelled, wincing in pain,as he looks at his leg, which could've almost broken if not for the way he fell.

When The Motherload approach the area.. Anotella gasps.

"I-I-Is.. that..."

"Atkins Spears Weatherford?!"