chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

I wasn't sure how long I had been stuck here losing my brain cells; all concept of time had seemed to slip away from me as I waited in this poor excuse of a room for someone to enter. I sat myself down besides the toilet after managing to throw the blanket over the security camera, hooking it over the top to hide myself from whoever was watching me. I lifted up the toilet seat and started my '100% improvised escape plan'. This could either be the most brilliant idea I have ever had or one of the stupidest.

Standing up, I put one foot on top of the toilet bowl, and with a massive yank, I managed to deconstruct the toilet seat from the body of the toilet. My heart was pounding in my head. These people had guns; I knew that for a fact. One slight miscalculation in my plan, and I was dead.

I pray to God that this works out. I wasn't overly religious, but if there was a God that could hear me, now would be a good time to lend a hand. I figured that once they realized that the camera was blocked, someone would come to check that things hadn't gone south in here. Then, I would use the toilet seat to attack whoever came in, giving me time to leave the room and figure out an escape route. It was a stretch in the reality of actually working in the department, but hey, the options I had to work with right now were slim.

I backed myself up against the wall, adjacent to the locked door, waiting for someone to enter. This was possibly the most crucial part of my plan. I mean, step one has to be completed before you can start step two.

Eventually I heard the lock on the door click and the handle being turned. With one long and heavy deep breath to calm myself before the storm, I gripped the toilet seat with both hands and swung it above my head, bringing it down into the face of a man in a suit.

He stumbled backwards, tripping over his feet, his hands waving around as he tried to steady himself. I brought the toilet seat back above my head, running completely on adrenaline now, and brought it down once again, this time with more force and accuracy. The man let out a yell, calling for backup, but I squashed a foot over his mouth to shut him up.

"Run!" I told myself, casting an anxious glance back. I saw what backup he had called for. At least five other men had come running to his aid, darting around the corner and pointing their guns at me, and my foot was over this man's now unconscious head. Fuck.

Without a second thought, I sprinted around the corner, hoping to find some kind of door around here to exit from and make my merry way home.

But it seemed as though the Bonten had other plans for me. As I bolted down the hallway, I could hear the heavy footsteps that came from behind, slowly but surely becoming faster and louder as they gained on me. I might have been a fast runner, but these men seemed to be faster.

Shit, shit, shit, I was going to die. If they were having thoughts of sparing my life before this moment, they were certainly going to reconsider that act of kindness now.

I darted around another corner, almost losing my footing as the momentum I gathered increased. I had made it about a hundred meters down the hallway and through the maze of this building, although I was still unable to locate a door.

As I rounded another corner to continue the maze, I was met by a large figure that filled the hallway. Before I could react or stop myself, I was on the ground with an incredibly sore nose. I furiously blinked back tears as I tried to straighten up my head and find my vision.

My eyes adjusted to gaze up at the massive figure in front of me. A tall man towered over me; his shoulders were wide enough that there could have been two of us standing in front of him and he still would have been bigger. His dark hair is styled into a rattail mohawk, with a braid extending to the lower neck. His angular eyebrows contribute to his menacing physiognomy. This man was muscular as well, with dominant biceps and washboard abs that were definite through his white button-up shirt.

I gulped loudly, loud enough for him to hear her, as he answered with a harsh and yet sinister smirk, telling me, "You're going to die, little girl; you're done for"