chapter 27

Mikey's POV.

All I could focus on was putting one foot in front of the other, and at the moment, even that was proving to be a struggle.

My mind was racing as fast as a bullet train.

Why had I said, 'I owe you an explanation'? What was I going to tell her? I could give her the sob story of my entrance into the Bonten to help her understand me, or would that be too cliché and awkward?

"Mikey," she addressed me when I realized that I had zoned out.

I coughed uncomfortably and looked up at the waiter, who smiled politely and nodded.

"How can I help you, sir?" she asked in a chirpy and high-pitched voice.

"Uh, right. Table for two, please, preferably one by the water." I nodded awkwardly, tapping one foot against the ground, both hands in my pant pockets, fiddling with the handle of my gun.

"Right this way, please." The waiter led the both of us around the restaurant, down a few steps, and outside into the pleasant night air.

The waves crashed rhythmically against the white sand, fairy lights climbed the poles around the restaurant, and white tablecloths shone under the moonlight.

The waiter pulled out a seat for Y/N before doing the same for me.

Y/N muttered a slight 'thank you' before taking her seat; me, well, I just sat down.

We were left alone, again locked in an awkward silence, both of us getting DeJa'Vu from most of our encounters.

"So, what are you going to order?" I asked quietly. She looked up at me; her eyes were hopeless and tired.

Her cheeks were hollow, and she shook in the night air.

I wanted to buy her the whole restaurant right here; this poor girl was looking even skinnier than she normally is.

"I don't really know; I'm not overly hungry." She shrugged and pulled my suit jacket tighter around her body. My heart broke.

"Y/N, you have to eat," I practically begged, my heart beating slowly faster by the second.

"I know," she said, looking away from me, broken. I sighed and ran my hands through my hair, letting out a stressed and heavy breath.

She just looked up at me.

"I am literally on the verge of shooting someone." I shook my head, and she winced.

I hadn't expected that.

And then I remembered what had happened with the Valhallas. To me, it was nothing; I didn't think anything of it.

I killed daily.

But yes, I would have bet my life that she had never held a gun before that moment.

"Does it bother you, killing him?" I stepped cautiously; she was delicate, and the cracks were starting to show.

"I don't want to talk about it." She waved a hand at me, telling me to drop it, but I wouldn't.

"He tortured you; he had it coming," I started before she stood up in a split second. I blinked back a few times before realizing the fast-growing water in her eyes.

"I, uh, I have to go to the bathroom. Excuse me." She pushed out the chair and hurried off back inside the restaurant.

I sat there by myself, checking the time on my Rolex; it was barely eight o'clock.