chapter 23

Mikey's POV.

My heart was racing a million miles a minute, and I could feel the thumping in my head as thousands of worried thoughts invaded it.

What if she was dead? Where had she run to?

The airport, maybe the hotel, or the beach?

There were so many possibilities, and I was completely lost as to where to start.

I could just picture her determinedly walking down the street, huffing and sobbing in her seething anger and independence, drenched by the sudden downfall of tropical rain in her spaghetti-strapped dress.

I felt awful in all my closemindedness.

Growing up in a criminal organization, I just assumed that everyone was like me, having watched criminal deals since I was eight years old.

I knew I had become too comfortable around Y/N; I had let myself become open and vulnerable. Love was not stable; business was.

That was all Y/N was to me—just another member in my organization who was helping in the running of the business.

"Mikey," Kokonoi turned to me as I flung open the front seat of one of the SUVs, climbing in. "The Valhallas are gone." To say my stomach dropped was an understatement.

My stomach did a full 360 before plunging down into the pit of my stomach repeatedly.

Those fuckers.

My heart raced, and the pounding invaded my mind. My head began to go light, my hands were clammy, and my lips were dry.

I couldn't focus.

What was this feeling?

I didn't feel 'stressed' or 'panicked'.

I had built my life around being calm and calculated, unaffected by the chaos around me.

"Mikey, are you alright?" Rinduo asked.

A sudden rage hit me like a wave.

"Do I fucking look alright to you? My date has run away, and now those fucking Valhalla are out to find her; we're still sitting in this parking lot; it's pouring with rain; and I can't even see out of the damn windscreen!" I shouted, my chest rising and falling rapidly.

My eyes widened, and my jaw twitched. I looked livid.

Rinduo winced as if I had thrown some kind object at him, sliding back into the seat and falling silent with defeat.

I turned to Sanzu, whose expression was unreadable, just like always.

"Mikey," he mumbled.

I brought my eyes up to his and made a poor attempt to focus. "We will find her," he assured me.

I nodded and dragged my hands over the cold leather wheel.

"I know we will; we have to, and if anyone has even set eyes on her, they're going to die," I promised before slamming my foot down on the accelerator and speeding out of the front driveway.

We had to find Y/N, and I had to find her. My love was drunk and alone, wandering through the streets in the rain with Valhalla running around.

Y/n's POV.

I was sobbing. Of course, it had started to rain, and with the way this night was going and my luck, I wouldn't be surprised if something came out of the bushes and mauled me.