chapter 47

Y/N's POV

I sat back down in the seat next to Mikey's and gripped his hand within my own, taking a good lookover the slightly severed skin that covered his palm. 

"Shielded my face in the blast," he told me calmly as if it was no biggie at all. 

I nodded but stayed silent, however.My mind was wandering all around my head, trying to compute and comprehend the story that Ran had just given me. 

He was a married man? 

I could never see someone like Ran settled down with a wife of his own. 

But then again, it wasn't settled when he was still one of the executives in Bonten.

 Whoever he was with must have loved him dearly to stay around this shit. 

Let alone die doing it. 

My mind wandered back to that day in the training room, early on in my introduction to theunderground criminal network. 

When he kissed me, I had not so proudly let him. 

A sudden feeling of guilt spread through me, and I couldn't help but drop the dressing and salinewater I was holding, causing a worried look to cross Mikey's face. 

He was widowed but still wore that ring as though he was married.

Eagerly waiting for the return of the woman, he loved after a long day at work. 

And he and I had shared a kiss. 

At the time, technically I hadn't been with Mikey, the both of us resented each other backthen and only saw our partnership as a forceful business deal. 

But Ran had been married and still wore that ring like he was. 

No wonder he had said 'This was amistake' and ran off on me. 

"Y/n," I was snapped out of my panicked trance by Mikey's voice. 

"What's the matter?" his concerned voice rang through my ears, and I knew that I wouldn't be ableto lie to him, so I told him the truth. 

"Ran had a wife," I stuttered, still trying to wrap my head around the whole thing. 

Mikey sighed and gripped my hand with his own, looking up at the roof before bringing his gazeback down toward me. 

"He did, that's correct," he almost sounded hurt by the topic of conversation. 

"What was her name?" I asked as he thought for a moment, seemingly playing memories in his mindbefore giving his answer. 

"unnamed, her name was never revealed," he spoke softer now, as if so that Ran didn't hear her.

"She was murdered, yes?" I needed confirmation as if I needed to hear it one more time to believe it. 

He let out a long and drawn‐out sigh, running a hand through the roots of his hair, I figured thismust have been a touchy topic. 

"Brutally," he told me, "We were on a heist and long story short, got into a battle with another organization,she was kidnapped, and we'll just say that it didn't end well for anyone after that."He closed off the topic for further discussion but even with the confirmation, guilt still lingered in mystomach. 

"Excuse me one moment," I stood up and moved back into that second room where I found Ran.

He was perched on the edge of a small sofa, his elbows on his knees and fists clasped together,staring intensely at the ground.