chapter 40

Mikey's POV.

At twelve forty in the afternoon, we had spent nearly three hours out, and not much had been done at the compound within that time frame.

I pushed open the garage door, striding inside and making it known that I owned the joint.

Y/N followed closely behind me before we were both stopped in our tracks by a very stoned-looking and very panicked Bonten's Higher-Ups.

Sanzu held his hands in front of us as if he were trying to stop oncoming traffic. Holding his phone in his left hand, he shook his head violently.

"What is it?" I proceeded to ask him, becoming evidently more concerned with each passing moment.

Either this could be the drugs still talking from earlier, or something was seriously wrong.

"It's the Atsushima Kazuya; they've brought forward the meeting. Takeomi's voice was full of nervousness as I turned around, cursing a long line of profanities under my breath.

"How come?" I demanded, but all Takeomi did was shrug his shoulders and sigh.

"I don't know; I just got a text."

"Let me see it; give me your phone." I snatched his phone out of his hand and continued to scroll through his messages until I got to the Leader of the Atsushima Kazuya number: Hachiouzi.

It did, in fact, seem as though the trade had been moved forward a week.

"When to?" Y/N placed a soft and shaky hand on my shoulder.

"Tomorrow," my voice trailed away until there was only silence left, and she gulped so loudly it echoed through the compound.

I took a small glance into her terrified eyes before I had to draw my view away again, unable to hold eye contact while she looked scared.

"We can still withdraw from the deal," I offered her, knowing that really, we couldn't withdraw.

Once a deal was made with Atsushima Kazuya, it was cowardly and stupid to call it off, but for Y/N, I was willing to do so.

"Mikey, we can't do that," Koko piped up. I sighed, and Y/N whipped her head from me to Koko.

"What do you mean? Why? What happens when you call off a deal with the Atsushima Kazuya?" Don't say it, Ran; don't say it; she doesn't need anymore information to fuel the fear.

"Death. The Atsushima Kazuya don't have a history that's particularly filled with mercy," Sanzu shrugged.

Why did he have to open his mouth while high? He was so inconsiderate when he was high.

"Right," she turned back around to face me again, "so I guess that isn't a really good option now, is it?" she grilled me.

I shook my head and sighed, keeping my gaze down at the floor and biting my bottom lip.

"I can send someone else in there for you." I thought hard; this was suspicious in every manner, and I wasn't sure that I wanted to send her into this situation.

There were too many variables and too many unknown possibilities that I just couldn't prevent.

"And who would you send in and trust to walk out with whatever we're trading for?"

"And not to mention, sending others in would make it so suspicious," Rinduo added. Man, just please stop talking.

"You're right," I sighed, knowing he was right as much as I didn't want to admit it.

"Y/n?" I turned to her, wanting to make sure she was still somewhat okay with this.

"It's fine," she sighed, bouncing on the heels of her feet as if trying to hype herself up.