chapter 26

Mikey's POV.

I paced the room back and forth repeatedly. We had made it back to the compound in Italy safely and with no trouble at all, making me a much happier man.

I had guided Y/N inside, and much to my surprise, she hadn't even hinted at objecting in any manner.

I had taken her up to my room, telling her she could rest there while I worked, but in truth, I hadn't left her side since those delicate eyes of hers had fluttered shut.

My mind was racing a million miles a minute—what had the Valhallas wanted from her?

My organization is stable, right?

Everything was as it should be, fitting perfectly into place like one of those one-thousand-piece jigsaw puzzles.

Y/N was like that one last piece, the one you wait for so long to find, only to hold your breath wondering if the tiny details will be a match to all the others around, and when that piece does fit, well, you step back and look at everything you've created.

All the time and effort, the money spent, and the success you've worked for

Setting your heart at ease

My organization had everything: drugs, alcohol, weaponry, and numbers. I really couldn't ask for more materialistic goods to be at my disposal.

So why hadn't the Valhalla's gone for my supplies? They needed some of their own, but instead they took my 'party date', a girl of no specialty to the criminal world or heritage; she was just a girl from a nightclub.

Unfortunately, as Sanzu had reminded me on several occasions whilst flying back, we might never know the answer to all the anxieties in my mind because we had blasted those Valhalla scum full of bullets.

"Mikey," I said, turning around to look over my shoulder at Sanzu, who was sitting in my armchair, legs crossed over each other, and smoking a joint.

"What?" I replied, briefly snapping my head back to look at Y/N, making sure she was still okay.

"You're tense and sweating; what's on your mind?" Sanzu shifted to sit upright as I made my way and took a seat in the armchair next to him, mirroring his seating position.

"I still can't get over what those scum did to her." I took a breath and rubbed my forehead, trying to comprehend the whole situation and not only what had happened to Y/N but also what was going to happen to my organization as a result of all of this.

"This is going to sound really brutal, but Mikey, what's done is done. It's happened, and now the best thing we can do is plan for what will happen next." Sanzu gave me a short side eye before continuing, "You know as well as I do that in this world, people from across the globe get tortured on a daily basis for information; unluckily, yesterday that was Y/n." I huffed. It was true, people in every criminal organization were kidnapped by another every day and tortured.

It was within the job description for it to happen.

But Y/N wasn't like my Bonten's men; she was new and delicate to the ways of gun violence and torture.

It was an unfair playing field.

"I've seen the bruises; when I was helping her onto the plane, I saw where they electrocuted her; it's a war crime, and I won't stand for it." I hissed back, grabbing a bottle of Campari and two glasses from the side table and pouring two drinks.

"Hey now, I didn't say we had to stand for it." Sanzu clinked his glass with mine before we both took sips, him grinning slightly. I followed.

"Now that's what I like to hear." I took another swig from the glass and let out a low laugh.