Chapter 47:Shutdown?

E!Pap's POV

"ErRoR! DiD yOu liKe yOuR bIrThDaY? HoW wOuLd yOu liKe tO EnD iT? MaYbE wItH sOmE rElAxInG UndErNoVeLa?"I ask

I get silence in return but that's expected. I turn to see that he hasn't moved from his seat. I walk over, seeing all the physical signs that he crashed. Huh...Guess it was too much for him. Nothing I, his amazing brother, can't handle! I carefully set his glasses and crown away somewhere safe and turn to get him some blankets. I notice Perl looking at Error worriedly and nudging his leg.

"It'S oKAy, PeRl. He jUsT nEeDS tO rEboOt."I say, petting his head.

Perl looks down, pulling away and curling up a small distance from Error where he stares at my brother from. I lay the blankets on Error carefully, then notice that something is off. There is no bar for his rebooting progress or any sign that officially states that he crashed or that he will reboot.

I decide to check his code, then notice some strange strings and lines trying to hide among his natural code. It was a much different language and format than his natural code, like trying to hide blueberries among grapes. Both look alike but upon experienced, closer inspection they are different. The fact that it's here alone is concerning. Nyeheh, no matter. I will just check it and remove it to keep it from harming him....

Access denied!

"WhAt?"I snap in shock

I keep trying to access it, using every trick I know.

Access denied!

Access denied!

No tampering allowed!

Access denied!

Access denied!

Access denied!

No tampering allowed!

Access denied!

Access denied!

Access denied!

No tampering allowed!

Access denied!

This is not good. What harm is this going to cause my brother? What can I do? Think, Papyrus, think! You're his brother! No good brother will let him suffer!

I start pacing, trying to think and keep my growing worries at bay. My soul pounds, scared out of my mind as glitches cover my eyes. Then I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Who iS thErE?"I ask

The hand starts writing on my arm. I-T I-S M-E B-U-F-F-E-R I F-O-R-G-O-T M-Y B-A-G W-H-A-T I-S W-R-O-N-G-?

Oh! It's Buffer!

"H-H-HeLlO bUfFeR....It sEeMs tHAt sOmEtHiNg hAs bRoKeN ErRoR'S cOdE. He iSn'T rEbOoTiNg aNd i cAnNoT aCcEsS hIs cOde tO deLeTe iT. I dOn'T kNoW wHaT tO dO..."I say

He continues to write messages on my arm and then pulls me into a hug. He promised to stay and help, which relaxes some of my nerves. It is nice to know that I am not alone handling this...Especially since I am deaf and Error is usually the one who covers that for me. We're a good pair. I'm his eyes and he is my "ears". But now...Nevermind. My vision clears up after he calmed me down. He smiles at me, patting me on the back gently.

It's going to be okay....

He turns to Error, walking over to him. I watch him examine my brother, then snap his fingers and put an orb on my brother's skull. It turns into a buffering symbol, slowly loading.

"That will slow the process of whatever is causing the issue."He signs to me

I nod, relieved to hear that. He takes a look at Error's code and frowns.

"The code sent him into shutdown and blocks his reboots protocols....And it's meant to start deleting and rewriting his code soon..."He warns me

I frown, hating this idea. Even worse is the idea of the pain that Error would go through if this starts. So I open the code screen for him, coding him into a sleep mode so that he doesn't suffer while we handle it.

"We nEeD To gEt hElP aNd fiNd tHe cUlpRiT!"I say

He nods, then gets gets his phone out while twirling his finger to keep the buffering symbol loading. I try to examine the code closer and Perl snuggles closer against his head and purrs.

You are going to be okay, Brother. We will keep you safe and reverse this, I promise.

TBC