The piano

Playing Beethoven at such a young age was unheard of. At least until Shoto Todoroki came along. Kids watched whenever he took one step onto the stage. He was the best thing that ever hit that stage, he was unbeatable.

Inspiring many kids, including Katsuki Bakugou, there was a skyrocketing demand of instruments. That's when their rivalry began.

Past

The way those crimson orbs widened as the kid walked on stage. Red and white hair, short, white suit. Just the way he looked brought people's attention.

"Oh it's Todoroki-kuns turn!" Midoriya smiled.

"I didn't realize he was playing today..." Bakugou mumbled.

"Did you not know he plays?" Midoriya asked.

Bakugou shook his head never taking his eyes off of Todoroki. The crowd was waiting in anticipation. He bowed and adjusted the chair. Shoto sat down taking a deep breath and finally began to play. Beethoven 'Für Elise' if messed up people will be desperately disappointed.

"Look his mother is even watching today." Midoriya pointed.

"What's so special about that?" Bakugou grumbled.

"She's never been to one before..." Midoriya trailed off.

Bakugou didn't pay any attention to it. He was admiring Todoroki in all his glory. Katsuki could practically see the feelings coming from the piano. Todoroki knew how he was playing wasn't what it was written about. Nobody in the audience would realize though. Katsuki surely didn't realize that the original song was about sadness and loneliness.

Now was the big time. Could Shoto show the change in emotion? Anger, passion, giving up. He caught the emotion perfectly and made the audience want more. Shoto stood up and bowed as the song was over. The crowd was silent as they didn't want it to end. Suddenly everyone was cheering for him.

Shoto Todoroki never cared about how loud the audience was. All he cared about was if it reached her. He smiled and waved walking off the stage.

That's the day everyone realized he was a prodigy. Nobody knew how it was possible. Everyone was amazed by every performance he did.

Soon he lost all emotion in his performances. People got bored of him quickly after that. He played what was on the paper. That's how you get first place, the only thing the judges can really judge you on.

Bakugou's pov
(A year after the previous performance)

"Why are you back here?" Shoto tilted his head.

"I'm performing, duh." I smiled at the shorter boy.

"You don't know piano." He seemed confused.

"I've been learning for a year." I replied.

"Number 6!" A man called out.

"What number are you?" Shoto looked around.

"Number 10, why?" I asked.

"Why aren't you ready!?" He grabbed my hand going to the bathroom.

"I have plenty of time!" I grumbled.

"No you don't Katsuki. Where's your suit?" He searched through the pile of dress clothes.

"I don't have one..." I gulped.

"This one's too big on me, use it." He gave me a red suit.

I went into one of the stalls and got changed. In the distance we could hear that number 7 was going on stage. Leaving the stall I could see Shoto waiting. He was staring at himself in the mirror.

"How do I look?" I smiled nervously.

"The color makes your eyes pop." He turned towards me.

"This was a bad idea." I sighed.

"If you did violin we could do duets together." Shoto chuckled.

"You're supposed to tell me this was a great idea." I glared.

"You've never seemed like a piano person." He shrugged innocently.

Number 8 was called and my hands began to shake so I clenched them into fists. Shoto glanced at my hands.

"Whoever taught you didn't do well." He sighed.

"Hey! You haven't even heard me play!" I yelled.

"Katsuki if you clench your hands they will tense up during performance. I'm not saying you're a bad pianist, at least yet." He giggled.

"You little-" I was cut off.

"My mother is coming today...I'm sorry if I'm seeming mean." He mumbled.

My eyes widened, I didn't expect him apologize. I was especially surprised that his mother was coming today. She's rarely seen him perform.

"How's she doing?" I asked.

"Worse." He whispered.

I didn't know what to reply. She means a lot to Shoto but he barely brings her up. Suddenly number 9 was called and my heart began pounding against my chest.

"You should go out there, wait to be called." He looked me in the eyes.

"What number are you?"

"Number 126." He sighed.

He waved at me as I left the bathroom. It felt wrong leaving him but my turn was coming up. I didn't expect him to be a nervous wreck without me.

_______________________________________

788 words

First chapter done! I'm not sure how often I'll update this book but I have plenty of inspiration right now so hopefully often. How do you guys like the story so far?