TOXIC

Narrator

Mr. Nishimura had given Y/n's car keys back.

The key to the last gift Y/n's father had left Y/n.

Y/n felt really embarrassed driving Wonyoung home. Wonyoung had been a good friend to Y/n for a few years when Y/n wasn't the person they are now.

Y/n had started to develop an inferiority complex due to the constant harassment of their parents, so having Wonyoung watch Y/n submit to Mr. Nishimura was very embarrassing.

- Y/N POV -

"So, any of those girls I saw you with today, your girlfriend?" Jang asked out of nowhere.

"No," I shortly answered.

I kept my eyes on the road, not wanting to talk at all.

"But you want them to be?" Jang smugly followed.

"No," I answered.

I was being honest. As much as I loved each girl, I just want my friends back. I didn't want to ruin that by dating any of them.

I mostly just wanted to be alone.

"Mr. Nishimura had told my father that you had accepted our engagement proposal," Wonyoung informed me.

It didn't surprise me that dad would lie to close a business deal.

With my lack of response, Jang just kept talking.

"I see now, that wasn't the case," Wonyoung seemed upset.

"I liked your father better. He was an honest guy," was the last thing Jang said before I pulled up to her house.

She gave me a look I couldn't decipher before getting out of my car.

- Wonyoung POV -

I was disappointed to find out that Y/n didn't know anything about the engagement.

Aside from that, Y/n didn't seem like their silly self anymore. Y/n seemed grown up and bitter. Nothing like the person I remembered.

Just like Mr. Nishimura, my dad was a bit corrupt and strict.

Luckily for me, I'm daddy's little girl so adad at least has the courtesy to keep me out of his business and when he does want to include me, he asks.

When Y/n's dad did business was my father. It was the best time of my life.

I got to spend time with Y/n and dad didn't do any dirty business. Y/n's father was too much of a good man to do things the wrong way. But Y/n's father appreciated my dad's ambition and work ethic, while my father respected Y/n's dad's blunt and upfront way of doing business.

Those 3 years that our fathers were partners, they were unstoppable. There was no shady business and everything they did exceeded expectations.

That's until...,

Y/n's father passed away.

"How was meeting Y/n again?" Dad asked as I walked into the house.

"Disappointing. Y/n didn't even know about the engagement," I answered him.

My dad scoffed.

"What? Mr. Nishimura said Y/n had agreed to the engagement. I'm sure he wouldn't lie about something like that," dad smugly answered.

"You seem to forget that you've been a liar too," I raised my eyebrow at him.

"Excuse me?" Dad furrowed his brows at me.