17. if walls could talk

Miami
Saturday

Ariella's pov

After three very positive free practice sessions, I feel more confident in qualifying. My estimated position is p2, but Rocky is very confident that I can get a Pole position.

A mechanic is trying to talk to me about something, but I'm not paying an ounce of attention. Instead, my thoughts are focused on the Mercedes driver outside in the pit lane. Coincidentally, our garages were placed right next to each other.

He's also talking to one of his mechanics. It looks like a casual conversation. His hands are on his hips. He's bent over laughing. He's talking with his hands, gesturing to the empty air.

"Ariella?" The mechanic questions, trying to regain control of my focus. A shake my head slightly. "Sorry, what?" I stand up straighter to show the girl she has my attention now. She sighs before she repeats everything she just said and I feel bad for making her do it.

I thank her and make my way to Rocky who is already situated on the pit wall. "Electric shock!" I jump up behind him and shake his shoulders with everything in me, imitating an actual electric shock.

Rocky turns to me with one brow raised in question. He gives me a look as if I'd lost my mind. "Hello?" He says with an almost concerned tone.

"Whatcha doing?" I say the words like a child would. His face changes to match the concern that was in his voice previously. "Working?" The word is drawn out, said slowly by his lips. No doubt, the word was a serious response but his concert forced the word to come out as a question. "Are you okay?" He brings his hand up to my forehead, checking for a possible fever.

I grab his wrist, shoving his hand from my forehead. "Mate, I'm fine. I'm just bored." I look up to the sky, noticing the odd shape of a select few fluffy white clouds.

He laughs shortly. "Bored?" I look back down at his still concerned expression. "Ariella you have qualifying in an hour. How can you possibly be bored?" I just shrug in response to his interrogation.

I stand there for a couple more moments, neither of us saying anything but his face is still screaming with concern. "Okay bye. I'm off to bother someone else." He shakes his head before turning back to the screens in front of him.

I turn around, walking backwards as I shout to Rocky. "Hey, have a good quali, yeah?" He looks back to me, shakes his head, and turns back to doing his job.

I turn back around, but unfortunately run into someone. "Oh shit my bad." The words tumble out before I realize who I ran into. "Watch where you're going next time, yeah?" George narrows his eyes at me and leaves before I can even respond. My eyebrows knot together and an 'asshole' falls from my lips in a mutter.

George

George
- Sorry, had to keep up the act, pls don't be mad x

(Ariella liked a message)

I forgot about that. To me, it seems kind of useless now. The moment has passed, I don't understand why we have to keep pretending we don't like each other. It never made sense in the first place anyways.

Max comes up to me when I reach the garage."What was that about?" He asks, slight amusement in his voice. "What do you mean?" I play dumb.

Max smiles and blows a short laugh from his nose. "He didn't tell you?" I become confused once again. He catches it and follows up his previous statement with, "I know you and him have a little... something? going on." He lightly hits my arm with the back of his hand, laughing softly as he does so.

"How-" I begin to ask him how he knew about it but he cuts me off, anticipating the question. "Hotels don't have very thick walls." The words are nearly identical to Parker's, almost giving me deja vu. I run a hand over my face, embarrassed the walls ratted me out once again. The term 'if walls could talk' is becoming a little too real.

I become suddenly thankful that George has no other drivers as his neighbors. The only reason I have Max and Parker as neighbors is because they 'want to be there incase I need something in the middle of the night'. I wish they weren't such caring friends.

A sigh flows out my nose. "Did you tell anyone?" He shakes his head. "He begged me not to. And besides, I wouldn't do that to you." A smile paints its way onto his face. He cups a hand onto my shoulder, before walking off to talk to several of his mechanics.

The minutes of the hour seem to pass by quickly, and soon I'm sat in the car, doing laps around the track trying to make the fastest lap.

"That's fastest Ariella, keep pushing." Rocky's words are heavenly as I cross the line for the millionth time today. "Yeah, copy. How much time do we have left?" I ask him as I brake into the first corner.

"Just under three minutes remaining." Still plenty of time for someone to beat me to pole position. I race through the track carefully, breaking as late as possible and hitting the apex at every corner.

I cross the line again, Rocky coming over the radios once again. "That was even faster, a 1:26.96." The lap time doesn't shock me, neither does the warning that comes from Rocky's mouth next. "car is overheating, we won't be able to safely put in another lap." The hot Miami weather is what makes this such a predictable situation. His words telling me to stop pushing the car, instead to ease it back to the pits.

When I hop out of the car, qualifying is over. I don't know where I placed. Rocky comes up to me looking disappointed, and I can foresee what his next words will be already. "You got pole." Nevermind. My jaw drops. "You better not be playing with me or I swear I will strangle you in your sleep." I warn him of what's to come as I point an accusing finger at his face.

He shakes his head frantically. "Right hand on the Bible." He holds his left hand up in the air, showing his defense as his right hand rests in the air over a pretend Bible.

I let out a squeal of excitement. "Hey Maxi! I got pole!" I yell to the Dutchman who was taking off his balaclava in the comfort of his garage, throwing my hands up in celebration.

He has a smile on his face as he makes his way quickly in my direction, shocking me when he lifts me into a hug. "Your first pole in formula one. You are actually insane." I laugh.

"If I'm insane, you've lost your mind entirely, mate." I hit him in his chest before jumping into Parker's congratulatory hug. "Your first pole!" She yells once she lets go of me, even though she is standing right in front of me. "Our first pole!"She laughs at the correction of words. I'm a firm believer that whatever I accomplish, it's her accomplishment too.

"Celebratory Cheesecake Factory?" My eyes go wide at the suggestion. I don't care what anyone says, I would sell my soul for their cheesecake any day. "Yes! Ten times over yes! You coming with Max?" I turn to the blonde who nods in agreement.

"You can invite Lando too." I say the words lowly incase any unwelcome ears are trying to listen in. She gives me a glare before jogging back off in the direction of the McLaren garage.

(1295 words)
☆———————————————————☆
A/N - I'm finishing this at 1:00 in the morning bc I was determined and I'm very tired.