36. right where we left off

Belgium
Friday

Ariella's pov

Max was very happy for me when I told him I'm going to Mercedes. But even when I told him, I wasn't entirely sure if the decision. I still had my doubts, I didn't want to just up and leave him he had been a great teammate to me since the beginning of the season.

It took me a whole day but I've decided, I'm going to take the seat. Even if they're not doing too good this year, next year is another chance, and I fully believe it's the best choice for me mentally. Sure, winning feels good but if my team principal is depleting my off-track happiness, then leaving that situation would be best.

As I walk into the Mercedes hospitality to give Toto my answer, George happens to be walking out of it. He gives me a smile, but it's not enough to hide the sadness and longing hidden behind those green eyes.

He deserves an explanation. I never gave him a proper one, I was too afraid for reasons I can't explain. I just left without a warning sign. And in his eyes, without a proper reason either.

I smile back, an almost apologetic smile. I hope he catches the apology, I hope he knows I never wanted to hurt him.

I knock on the door of Toto's office, a bored sounding 'come in' sounding from behind it. When I walk in he glances up at me, then looks back down at his papers, before he seems to realize it's me and looks up again.

A smile forms on his formerly bored expression. "Ariella!" He cheers as he stands up, gesturing to the same chair I sat in before. He waits until I sit down to sit back down himself. "So?" He asks, anticipating my answer. A glimmer in his eyes hoping it's a yes.

"I've decided I want to take your offer." My smile widens, the thought causes me tremendous happiness. "That's great to hear!Susie will be so excited." his pupils dilate dramatically at the mention of his wife's name. "We'll get a contract made up for you. Do you care when we make this public?" I find the question to be very considerate and admire how he seems to really care about his drivers.

I shake my head. "Anytime after Lewis announces his retirement." I shrug and he nods understandingly. "Of course, thank you." He reaches a hand across the table for a handshake, which I take gratefully.

"No, thank you." A few chuckles escape the both of us and I leave the office space, letting him get back to his papers.

Coincidentally, Lewis walks by the office as I'm leaving it. "You finally do it?" He asks with a small smile. I nod happily. "Thank you again." I turn to him, he holds a hand up at the thanks. "Don't thank me. It's not like I bribed him. Your skills are what got you that seat." He compliments, causing me to become flustered, my cheeks tinted in a light shade of pink.

I don't know if the red cheeks are a result of the compliment or because of who's complimenting me but he ignores it anyway, thankfully.

If only five year old me could see herself now. She actually might have fainted at Lewis Hamilton complimenting her.

Silence falls between the two of us for a moment, walking side by side out the motorhome and into the paddock.

"Do you know which hotel room George is staying in?" I pierce the silence with my question. Lewis smirks, knowingly. "Yeah I'll text you." He says before breaking off in a different direction as I enter the Red Bull motorhome.

-☆-

I take a deep breath before knocking on the door. It takes a moment for him to answer, but when he does he's shirtless. I want to laugh about his usual appearance but I can't seem to make it happen, the nerves too powerful to show any sign of happiness.