35. truth

Belgium
Thursday

Ariella's pov

The thought of people seeing me walk into the Mercedes hospitality makes me feel very nervous. I know if the media manages to capture the scene, they'll spin it 15 different ways and it'll be out of control.

But I force those thought out, and walk into the enemies territory.

"Ariella! Toto is waiting for you in his office. Follow me." A nice woman greets me when I walk through the doors. Her voice cheery and an expression to match it.

The man in question smiles when I walk into the room, gesturing for me to sit in the seat across from him.

I do so, fidgeting around in the seat for a second trying to get comfortable, but it doesn't work as the nerves are actively working against my comfortability.

"There's nothing to worry about." Toto speaks genuinely, his eyes reflecting the sincerity of his words.

I nod. "Right, uh- what is this about, exactly?" I search for some clarity in this currently foggy situation, which I'm granted in the most unexpected way.

He laughs airily at my question. "We have an opening at our team next year. We've decided you're our best candidate to fill the position." The shocking news causes me to freeze momentarily, processing the information seems nearly impossible.

I force the new knowledge to process in my mind entirely, and when it does a response soon follows. "Yes, I'm definitely interested. Could I possibly think on it for a couple days?" The smile on his face doesn't differ, but the look in his eyes changes, brightens. "Definitely. Get back to us as soon as you can."

His smile stays put as I shake his hand, also smiling. The same woman before waits outside his office to escort me back out the double doors.

I sit in my driver room alone, thinking the offer over in my mind. My head is slumped into my hands as I think.

Who would be leaving if they had an opening? Surely it couldn't be George after his tremendous run over the last few weeks, finishing top 5 in every race. But Lewis is like a son to Toto, he wouldn't throw him out either.

The question is flipped over in my head multiple times before it becomes clear what will cause the opening.

My head raises and I stare ahead at the blank wall, like the answer was painted on it all along.

But there's no way Lewis is retiring, my guess has to be wrong.

I shoot up from my spot on the couch, my feet moving quickly out the door and to the paddock. Thankfully, the man in question wasn't hard to find as he was also walking down the paddock.

I shout his name a handful times, getting his attention on the third call. He stops, turning to face me with his lips turned up into a smile.

Once I catch up with him fully, a take ahold of his elbow and drag him off into a quieter part of the paddock. "Are you retiring?" I whisper, accusingly. He looks shocked at my accusation, like he just got caught doing something he shouldn't be.

He looks ashamed, gaze moving to focus on the ground beneath us. His lack of response is an answer itself. "Oh my god. What? Seriously? Why?" I panic when I realize my assumption was right, I had hoped it wasn't.

He looks back up at me, the smile reappearing across his features. "I've had my run, you know? I figured it was time to make room for young talent." She shrugs his shoulders, as if it's not a big deal.

"Young talent? Mate look at you! You could say you were in your mid 20's and I'd believe you!" He laughs, but it's weak and feels forced.

"How did you know anyway? I don't think I've made it public yet." He was confused and rightfully so. He hadn't announced it and I jumped to guesses, which were sadly correct. "Toto told me there was an opening next year and offered the seat to me, then I just assumed." His face turns bright. Eyes bright, smile even brighter than before. The sun has nothing against his gleaming expression.

"Oh that wonderful! I'm glad he picked up on the hints I was dropping." My eyebrows pull themselves together instinctively as the confused feeling flows through me.

He notices the look, and explains his words. "I have been practically praising you all season. I thought he was totally clueless about it but I guess not. This is amazing! Are you going to take it?" I tear up a little. Lewis was someone I looked up to throughout my career, so for him to be 'praising' me is beyond believable.

Wordlessly, my arms find their way around his neck, my head over his shoulder as his arms go around my middle. It's a hug that provides me a welcoming warmth, one I would stay in for eternity if possible. The hug is a result from an overwhelming amount of emotion on my part, thankful to the man for indirectly giving me a new opportunity, but also unbearably upset over his news.

a single tear trickles it's way down the length over my face and falls onto his shoulder, creating a small wet spot. "I mean, I've gotta take the seat now." I mumble, my head still over his shoulder and I not only hear his laugh of response but also feel it, as it reverberates off him and travels it's way into my veins.

I don't really know Lewis all that well, we've interacted a multitude of times but I wouldn't call us friends. We had a mutual respect for each other, and also admiration on my part. But at this moment, I feel as though I've known Lewis my entire life.

The both of us release from the hug at the same time. "You really don't have to take it if you don't want to. You're doing crazy numbers at Red Bull and we aren't exactly delivering the same results as you guys." He speaks cautiously, making sure I think the choice over rationally and not make my decision based solely because he wanted me to go there.

I shake my head. "No I really think it's the change I need. Thank you." Smiles are shared between both of us. "I know potential when I see it. You're going places kid, there's a world champion in you." He points a finger at me, the faith he has in me causes me to become flustered and also causes a couple tears to join at my waterline.

I'm about to reply, when Max interrupts the conversation. "Ella! Finally, I've been trying to find you for like 20 minutes." He complains once he joins the conversation. Him and Lewis exchange short greetings and the Dutchman turns back to me.

"I was just having a talk with Christian and then, okay don't be mad at me when I say this because im just relaying what I heard and if anything you should be grateful be-" He rambles on and I interrupt him with a call of his name.

"Right, okay. Christian said he didn't want you with George because if anyone found out then it would look bad on him for allowing you to date a rival." His ramble of an explanation ends and I'm left stunned, unsure how to reply to that.

The truth about the situation makes me angry. makes me angry, at Christian. 'look bad on him'? That's a load of shit. Why would anyone care about him in that scenario? Again, it's a load of shit but at this point I know I shouldn't be shocked.

I reply with the only coherent sentence I can form in my mind. It's the only one that doesn't result in me becoming unreasonably upset about this.

"I'm going to Mercedes."

(1321 words)
☆———————————————————☆
A/N - it's just so you, you're just so predictable

OSCAR P2 I SCREAMED AND 11 MILLISECONDS AWAY FROM POLE IS CRAZY. he forgot he was a rookie today.

Also Pierre's p3😭