26. the string of beads

Monaco
Sunday

George's pov

"Amazing win today mate!" I congratulate Charles as Lando, Alex, and I walk into his flat together. The monegasque decided to have a small get together in celebration.

People are littered around the flat in small groups, most are drivers but some mechanics are sprinkled about.

Stupidly, I scan the room for a certain brunette girl, until I realize she texted me a goodnight not too long ago.

I'll admit that it bugs me a little that she's staying with Max. I do trust her and we only just got together, but there's a part of me that can't help but feel a little jealous.

"George?" Alex sings from next to me and I feel a poke on my arm. "Sorry?" I turn my focus to the blonde who's still poking my arm for his humor. I move away to stop the antic.

"I thought you said Ariella wasn't going to be here?" He accuses. I look at him in question. "She's not. What are you on about?" I ask him, not really knowing why he's asking.

"Because she's right there." He points near the entry where she's clearly standing with Max and Charles.

She's not really in their conversation, though. Her eyes search the room as mine did moments earlier until she picks me. I catch a glimmer in her eyes as she smiles, an infectious smile that gets me to smile too.

She turns her back to me, now facing Max and Charles again. They momentarily stop talking and I assume it's because she chimes in. The two boys laugh before she finds me once again and starts her voyage to me.

I meet her halfway.

"You said you were going to sleep." I inquire with a smirk on my face while looking down slightly at the girl. The black stilettos adorning her feet giving her extra height.

God, the short pink dress she has on looks too good. In an odd way, the loose silk material makes me want to hold her in my arms for eternity.

She hums shortly. "Changed my mind." She shrugs and brushes past me to go greet Alex Lando, and now Carlos with a beaming smile and that same sparkle in her eyes from earlier.

I stand back and observe the scene for a moment, studying the way she shifts her weight from one foot to the other when listening to someone talk to her. She intertwines a finger around a beaded bracelet on her wrist, then untangling the finger, opting to roll the bead between her index and middle fingers instead.

I find the little actions adorable.

Approaching Ariella, I place a hand on the small of her back. She flinches slightly at the touch, but instantly seems to lean into it afterwards. "Is this okay?" I lean down slightly to ask her. She nods her head subtly, the same wide smile across her features.

I trust everyone in this room. There's not a single person here who would have any viable reason against me or her to tell anyone. And even if they do tell, who's going to believe it wasn't just a friendly gesture?

-☆-

Many drinks and hours later, the remainder of us are sitting in a large circle in Charles living room.

That includes Charles, obviously, Me, Ariella, Max, Daniel, Lando, Parker, Carlos, Alex, Pierre, and Mick.

Ariella and Parker have been avoiding each other most the night and I think mostly everyone has noticed. She told me what happened and I can't help but feel partially guilty for it, even though she told me it wasn't my fault at all.