38. natural talent

2024

Bahrain
Sunday

Ariella's pov

I finished second in last seasons driver standings. Impressive for a rookie sure but it's not what I want.

Daniel took my seat at Red Bull, which I'm happy about. Him and Max are much closer friends than I was with either of them. We've all still remained good friends even after I left.

"I mean we're fast right now, and you're on pole. You've got a chance to win this, mate." I encourage the Brit beside me, the both of us sitting in the garage before the race. He turns to me, raising an eyebrow. "So do you, mate. You're right up there with me on the front row." He encourages me as much as I have just done to him.

The two of us are public news now. People calling us the 'it couple' of the paddock. I however, believe that title should be given to Max and Danny.

Of course, the both of us are acutely away of the pictures being taken of us at every turn, but we try to ignore it. Thankfully the media team didn't join in on that, they've instead focused on us as individual drivers rather than us as a couple.

"You've got more experience than me, though. There's no doubt, that top stop is yours." He rolls his eyes at me continuing the banter. "Well, you were second in the championship last year in your rookie season. That's impressive. I should be scared." He jokes and I scoff it off.

"It was the car." I shrug, playing it off as nothing. "That was not all the car. Give yourself some credit, you're an amazing driver. Lewis saw it, so should you." His words carry a little bit of an irritated tone, caused by my lack of confidence.

A long sigh from my lips is my only response. Lewis and I got really close after the summer break. It was difficult to watch him go and even more difficult now to know a friend isn't always here.

I stand from the chair, turning to my teammate. "I'm gonna go get situated." His hand catches mine before I'm able to walk off, pulling me back into his chest.

"You forgot something." He says, a cheeky smirk played across his lips. I pretend to act confused, a hand on my chin in a mock thinking expression. I look around some to play up the act even more.

He's decided he's had enough of the act, scoffing a laugh before pecking my lips. "I love you." He reminds me, once again. "I love you, too." I remind him.

Since we've got back together, that same interaction has become sort of a ritual. It's the last words we exchange to each other before every session. It's not like we're praying for the others downfall, but it's a dangerous sport and if something happens we want to make meaning of our last words.

I told him a story about my dad, how he got into an argument with his cousin. His cousin then went off for a drive to cool down. He got into an accident that killed him, and my father has regretted their last interaction ever since. Says he would give anything to redo it.

-☆-

George and I stand in the pit lane outside our garage after the race. "Oh I've gotta call Lewis." I beam, the Brit beside me nodding. The garage behind us still buzzing with energy after our double podium. Me winning with George second.

"Lewis!" I shout once he answers the FaceTime call. He looks like he's just relaxing at home. Good for him. George and I both show our trophies to the camera. "I know I saw on tv! Congrats mates!" Lewis is smiling, genuinely happy for us.

I feel a little sorry, considering he decided to retire before Mercedes could become dominant again. But it was his decision, and he's currently showing no signs of regret.

"Lewis!" Toto appears in the gap between George and myself. Lewis greets him back. "You were right about this one." Toto lands a hand on my shoulder, shaking it a little. "She's a natural talent." The group of us laugh.

Someone calls Toto's name from inside the garage and he disappears, leaving the space between us empty once again.

"So, you two gonna celebrate?" Lewis asks, suggestively wiggling his brows as he speaks. "Oh my god." I laugh at the immature comment. George nods enthusiastically and I can see the motion in the phone, the little box in the corner exposing him.

"Ow!" He exclaims, grabbing the part of his arm where I just hit him. He gives me a look, like I just hit him for no reason. "I can see you in the phone." I explain to him, he tries to hold in a laugh at the realization. Lewis is laughing hysterically on the other side, which results in the both of us also laughing.

(829 words)
☆———————————————————☆
A/N - there's only one more chapter after this...