30. flowers

California
Thursday

Ashton comes into the guest room to shake me awake. "Ariella do you have a stalker? Or a secret admirer?" Slowly I open my eyes to look up at him questioningly. "What are you talking about?" The words come out slow due to my tired state, but they get my confusion across nonetheless.

"I just got flowers delivered to my front door and I sure as hell know they're not for me." He explains and I get up to go investigate.

The flowers are sitting on the elevated part of the kitchen counter when I walk into the room. I search the bouquet for any note, which was conveniently hidden right in the middle.

Just because - G

I smile and grab the vase of flowers, taking them to my room without saying another word to Ashton.

I FaceTime the Brit and he answers after just one ring. "Thank you for the flowers babe,  but how did you even know where to send them?" Based on what little of the background I can see, it looks like he was in the gym. Probably training.

"I just looked up where your brother lived and hoped it was right. Scary place, the internet." Small chuckles escape him.

"I can't tell if that's cute or creepy." Now I'm slightly freaked about the idea that literally anyone could know exactly where I am right now. "Creepy, definitely creepy." I make my mind up.

"Either way, thank you they're really pretty. I'll let you get back to your training. I'll talk to you later, bye babe." I give him a smile and wave to him.

He does the same. "Goodbye, love." I end the call and look up to stare at the flowers that are now on the side table next to the bed.

Just because seems too unrealistic of a reason to buy someone flowers. He had to have done something. They've got to be an apology for something I'm still in the dark about.

I decide to wait until I can talk to him in person to bring it up. Lying is much harder when you're standing face to face with someone.

I meet Ashton back in the living room. He's on the couch, leaning over the back of it with a smirk on his face. "Sooooo..." He teases and I roll my eyes. "It was just George." I bring my hands up defensively as I saw the words as it it's no big deal. A broad smile finds its way into my face.

"Awe how cute! What a romantic little gesture!" He gushes mockingly. "Yeah, haha very funny." I sit down on the couch next to him. Silence ensures us for a moment. "It makes me nervous though. Why would you get someone flowers for no reason?" I voice my concerns to him, breaking the silence.

He shrugs. "Maybe he just thought it would be nice. I means it's been almost a week since you saw each other." He reasons with me and all I do is sigh.

-☆-

Canada
Saturday

I land a comforting hand on Daniels back when he steps out of his car. "P5 ain't that bad for your first qualifying in... well, months." I try and soothe him some, he nods but doesn't seem convinced.

"Yeah, I'm not as good as you." He jokes once he takes off his helmet, his signature smile now free for everyone to see. I groan in annoyance."Trust me, if I could still race I would. But I'm a safety hazard now with a broken arm." I show off the blue-casted arm before throwing it back down to my side.

Daniel seems to be focused on something going on behind me. "I think someone's looking for you." I turn to see what he's pointing at and observe the tall Mercedes driver talking to Max, and searching around the garage at the same time.