22. guilt

Imola
Sunday

Ariella's pov

"Hey! Knock, knock! You've gotta get your warm ups done let's go!" James urges from the outside of my driver room door.

I hesitantly lift my head up from George's shoulder. Our eyes meet with the same look. A look that says neither of us want to leave without really saying it.

I guess it is kind of idiotic of us to be in my driver room alone together, considering Christians threats, but something tells me it was just empty threats.

Besides, no one can see us inside here so how do they know we weren't just talking?

No talking even happened, though. Just the two of us sitting in each others company, absorbing the calming atmosphere.

I stand up from the couch and turn to the Brit, who's here in secret. "Just wait a minute to leave after I do. Just pretend you were talking to Max or something. I know he's in his room right now I'll ask him to cover." I whisper to the intruder still sitting on the couch. I wonder if anyone has gone looking for him.

George nods in understanding. I send him a soft smile, which he mirrors, before walking out the door to go warm up with James.

Not forgetting about our cover up, I ask Max if he would go along with the plan, which he agrees to doing.

Thankfully, when I see George in the pit lane before the race he informs me no one seemed to be skeptical of him.

All the sneaking around with him makes my gut turn constantly. A guilty feeling looms over me at every waking moment and once even in my dreams.

I had a dream that was just a collection of made up moments of George and I being caught together by just about everyone that could possibly be disappointed about it.

I start front row on the grid today, right behind Max which is unsurprising. That boy is artificially made I swear.

Once again, Max and I give each other little thumbs up while sitting in our cars prior to the formation lap. I would give George the same gesture but he's starting farther back in p5.

-☆-

It's another 1-2 finish in Imola for us at Red Bull. I can already see the team jumping for joy as I pull into the p2 spot in parc ferme. Charles pulls up in the p3 spot.

Max is standing on the nose of his car when I park. His arms up in triumph at yet another finish. I can't help but smile as I practically feel the excitement radiating off of him.

He hops off the car to bring me into a hug, picking me up off my feat and muttering something incoherent, no thanks to his helmet.

The two of us celebrate with the team together, head pats on the both of our shelled heads.

Max congratulates the monegasque driver and I copy his actions before my gaze is completely captured by the papaya driver getting out of her car after her incredible p5 finish. For her car, that's impressive.

I waste no time in putting myself into her embrace. "Parker you did amazing!" I congratulate the girl when I pull back from the hug. Her energy mixing with mine creates an atmosphere brighter then her own blinding uniform.

"Me? Girl you're on the podium! Again!" She shakes my shoulders as if I'd lost my mind and she's trying to knock me to my senses.

I shake my head frantically as she removes her helmet and balaclava. "Parker this is the best you've done all season! And in that thing a p5 is crazy." I mutter the next part to her, not wanting to be caught talking negatively about another team.

She throws her head back laughing. "I'm serious! You're like actually insane!" I try and get it through her head that her result is more important than mine, but she won't hear it.

She shakes her head and then ushers me off to do my post-race interview. Which was the same as about any other post-race interview.

After the podium and more media, I'm sat back in my driver room. This time I'm alone, no one else to share the silence with.

The looming feeling of guilt overwhelms me in the silence. Despite my p2 finish, the emotion embeds itself into every corner of my figure.

Parker was in the dream I had about my guilt. In that part of the dream, I told Parker about how George and I were sneaking around. She didn't take the news well, totally blowing up on me and cutting off all contact. Even when I tried to reach her in the dream she would hang up on me and once physically ran from me.

Regardless of it just being a dream, it still hurt me. It makes me afraid of what Parker will do now if she actually finds out.

Right now we are perfectly fine, maybe even better than we've ever been. Both of us are super happy right now and I would hate to be the one to ruin it.

Usually I would go to Parker for these kind of things but it's not exactly like I can ask her about something that deals with her.

Instead, I call Calum.

Calum has always been a close friend of mine, thanks to the band. But he just always seemed to be there for me when I needed it.

His face appears on my phone, a smile fading once he sees my expression. "Are you alright? I saw your p2 finish, what's happened?" Concern is written on his features and intertwined throughout every syllable of his words.

I smile shortly and nod my head. "Uh," My head falls into my hand. "I need to talk to you about something. I don't think holding it in is helping me any." I look up to see the Australian nodding frantically through the screen, telling me to go ahead.

I tell him everything. I tell him about my feelings for George, how they're requited, how we've been hiding around, the dream, and even telling him Christians warning. He nods at appropriate times and interjects to ask questions at certain points.

"I think you should tell her." Calum advises me, nodding. His eyes are gentle, no doubt feeling bad for me after hearing everything.

I sigh slightly, "But what if she gets mad at me, like in the dream?" I voice my concerns while reminding him of the fabricated series of events I earlier explained.

He shakes his head once again. "You guys are the closest pair of friends I've ever seen. She'll understand why you hid it." I think over his words for a moment. "Don't wait too long to tell her, though. You were right when you said it won't do you any good holding this in." I think Calum has some sort of gift, he somehow knows how to fix every problem that arises.

I thank the boy, asking him to keep the newly learnt information to himself, and hang up.

I sit for a few more moments, reviewing his words over in my head. The ringing silence makes it easier for his ideas to become clear.

He's right about this, I need to tell Parker.

(1227 words)
☆———————————————————☆
A/N - CHARLES P2 TODAY WTF AND LANDO P4 WTF WTF WTF OMG OMG OMG AND LOGAN LOWKEY ATE WITH THAT P13 LIKE OKAY MR AMERICA EAT IT UP

Also chapter 22 MY LACROSSE NUMBER LETS GO!!!!!!